Notebook: Add coach Mark Richt to Georgia’s injured list
Coach Mark Richt was injured on this play in which he went in hard to hug senior Richard Samuel following his tackle on a Missouri fake punt. (UGA photo by Rob Saye)
ATHENS — Here’s the abridged version of notes from today’s presser and practice:
- Coach Mark Richt is injured. He suffered an abrasion and slight contusion of the chin in celebratory hug of Richard Samuel after Missouri’s thwarted fake punt. “I think my chin just rubbed back and forth on his shoulder pad and the meshing of his jersey and just wore a hole there,” said Richt, who hasn’t been able to shave since. “But that was a lot of fun.”
- Bulldogs still playing “wait and see” game on suspended defenders Bacarri Rambo and Alec Ogletree, who are still listed as the starters at free safety and inside linebacker, respectively. Official response this week “We’ll wait to see for sure what happens.” But they’re expected to be out two more games.
- Richt on whether fullback Zander Ogletree is also suspended: “Zander didn’t travel, but we only take so many fullbacks.” The Bulldogs had Merritt Hall, Richard Samuel, Quayvon Hicks and walkon Corey Campbell in Missouri.
- Richt on his post-game conversation with Missouri’s Sheldon Richardson, who coined the phrase “Old Man Football:” “Sheldon basically said it was a good game and, ‘Coach I have a lot of respect for you and your team.’ He said he didn’t mean to disrespect. You could tell he was sincerely a pretty good guy. I thought it was big of him to grab me and say that he had a lot of respect for our program and our team.”
- Richt on Russ’ appointment as Uga IX this Saturday: “It’s a big deal. I think Russ has earned his stripes, and I think Russ is ready. He had a good offseason too from what I heard.”
- Noseguard John Jenkins said the injury that left him being helped off the field Saturday night was his big toe. “It got stepped on,” the 355-pound senior said. “And I was in pain. It hurt like crazy. But we just iced it down. I’ll be fine.” . . . Fellow noseguard Kwame Geathers had the breath knocked out of him but is OK.
- Cornerbacks Malcom Mitchell and Damian Swann remain in green jerseys with minor leg and shoulder injuries.
- Offensive lineman Watts Dantzler wasn’t practicing. Likely getting treatment for high-ankle sprain that kept him out of last Saturday’s game.
- The Florida Atlantic game officially became a sellout on Tuesday afternoon, UGA reports. The Buffalo game to open the season was 300 tickets short of a sellout. Before last season, the Bulldogs had sold out every home game since Richt had been head coach.