Bulldogs getting after it in first major scrimmage of preseason
The Bulldogs stretch in the East end zone before Wednesday's scrimmage at Sanford Stadium. Coach Mark Richt said it would be a big day as far as determining lineups for opening game.
ATHENS – Just returned from Sanford Stadium and viewing the open portion of the Georgia’s first scrimmage of the preseason. Not a lot to observe as Bulldogs give media only the warm-up sessions.
- Notably, defensive end Ray Drew remained sidelined and not dressed out due to a concussion. Cornerback Damian Swann remained green non-contact jersey (neck sprain). OLB James DeLoach (hamstring) was back in action. Otherwise injury situation has remained pretty tame for Bulldogs one week into preseason camp.
- Former Georgia offensive line coach and UAB head coach Neil Callaway was watching the workout. He’s been back a few times since the Blazers’ dismissed him. Said he’s still living in Birmingham and hoping to return to football as soon as possible.
- Georgia coach Mark Richt was standing right behind place-kickers during warmups. He saw freshman Marshall Morgan hit one line-drive hook but otherwise looked OK. Walk-on kicking specialist Adam Erickson was holding. That was Drew Butler’s job the previous two seasons.
- The stadium, field and hedges all look great. The hedge seemed taller than usual, or I’m getting shorter, which is equally viable. Construction going on in tunnel area under West stands where the team comes in from Dawg Walk.
- Saw this morning that Missouri lost two offensive linemen yesterday. Senior Travis Ruth, the projected starter at left guard, has a torn left triceps tendon and is scheduled to undergo surgery on Thursday, according to the Columbia Missourian. No. 2 right tackle Taylor Chappell has a torn ACL and will need surgery. The No. 1 Justin Britt, is currently sidelined with a broken foot but is expected to return during camp.
- Check back later for updates and stats from the Bulldogs’ scrimmage.
MORE GEORGIA FOOTBALL