ATHENS — Defensive lineman Derrick Lott has become the latest roster casualty for the Georgia Bulldogs.
Lott, a 6-foot4, 303-pound junior from Kennesaw, decided to transfer “in order to obtain more playing time,” according to an announcement Friday night by head coach Mark Richt. No word on where Lott is headed but, if it is on the FBS level (formerly Division 1) he will have to sit out a year.
“Derrick and I met and he believes he will have opportunities for more playing time elsewhere,” Richt said in a statement. “We support him and will assist in any way possible during this process.”
Lott could not be reached for comment. He was probably attending a show.
Lott played in just five career games. He concludes his UGA career with 10 total tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss.
Defensive line coach Rodney Garner spoke glowingly of Lott’s progress and abilities earlier this week. Though a career backup, Lott had tripped over some bad fortune — he ripped open his leg in a scooter accident before this past season — and appeared to be coming into his own this spring. According to several accounts of recent interviews with Lott, he spoke excitedly and optimistically about the upcoming season and the prospects it held for him.
Lott’s decision comes on the heels of the news that two more defensive players — All-America safety Bacarri Rambo and star linebacker Alec Ogletree — had flunked drug tests and are going to be suspended for multiple games at the beginning of the season. Alan Ingram, Rambo’s coach at Seminole County High School, said yesterday that as many as five Georgia players had failed surprise post-spring-break drug screenings.
Two other defensive starters are also expected miss games due to arrests in the last two months. So that’s 10 players that have either left the Bulldogs, been dismissed from the team or are expected to miss games due to suspensions since the calendar flipped to 2012. The others are:
– Chip Towers, The UGA Blog