Roster attrition occurring at alarming rate for Georgia football
ATHENS – Georgia has agreed on a new five-year contract for football coach Mark Richt, so clearly the UGA administration is happy with the job he’s doing. But one thing the Bulldogs’ 12-year coach appears to struggle with is simply keeping his players around.
If reports are true that defensive stars Alec Ogletree and Bacarri Rambo are suspended for multiple games to start this season — UGA has yet to confirm or deny them — then it continues a trend of roster attrition that has occurred at an alarming rate the past few years.
Reviewing AJC archives over the past four years, these latest suspensions would bring to 28 the number of players who will not be playing for the Bulldogs at the beginning of the 2012 season who otherwise would be eligible.
Since January, the Bulldogs have lost 13 players to transfer, disciplinary punishment or inability to achieve academic eligibility. That number balloons to 19 including losses off of last year’s roster.
Here’s what I’ve been able to gather so far. Please feel free to advise me in the comments section if you think I’ve overlooked anyone.
Player, would-be year: Comment
- LB Alec Ogletree, Jr.: Reportedly faces multi-game suspension for team rules violations.
- FS Bacarri Rambo, Sr.: Reportedly faces multi-game suspension for team rules violations.
- TB Carlton Thomas, Sr.: Three separate one-game suspensions in 2011. Quit team before spring practice
- WR Sanford Seay, RFr.: Dismissed from team in January for rules violation.
- DB Chris Sanders, So.: Dismissed from team in January for rules violation.
- DB Nick Marshall, So.: Dismissed from team in January for rules violation.
- CB Sanders Commings, Sr.: Gets 2-game suspension for simple battery, disorderly conduct conviction
- CB Branden Smith, Sr.: Faces suspension of at least one game for arrest on marijuana possession.
- CB Jordan Love, Jr.: Transferred after this past season for lack of playing time
- DE Jalen Fields, Jr.: 2010 signee failed to qualify after high school, then junior college
- DL Chris Mayes, So.: 2011 signee failed to qualify out of high school. Enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
- WR Lonnie Outlaw, Jr.: 2010 signee failed to qualify after high school, then junior college
- LB Kent Turene, Fr.: 2011 signee failed to qualify out of high school. Last thought to be headed to Marshall.
- DB Jakar Hamilton, Sr.: Transferred due to lack of playing time
- DB Derek Owens, Jr.: Transferred due to lack of playing time
- OL Brent Benedict, So.: Transferred to Virginia Tech due to philosophical differences with UGA’s strength staff.
- OL A.J. Harmon, Sr.: Academic difficulties forced transfer to Alabama State. No longer with that program either.
- TB Washaun Ealey, Sr.: Transferred to Jacksonville State after multiple disciplinary run-ins at UGA
- QB Zach Mettenberger, Jr.: Dismissed after arrest (and eventual conviction) for sexual battery. Slated to start at LSU.
- TB Dontavius Jackson, Sr.: Transferred out after suspension for DUI. Senior at UAB.
- LB Demetre Baker, Jr.: Dismissed from team following arrest for DUI. Now star RB at South Alabama.
- TE Bryce Ros, Jr.: Medically disqualified
- OL Johnathan Owens, Sr.: Medically disqualified
- DE Jeremy Longo, Sr.: Medically disqualified
- DE Toby Jackson, Sr.: Failed to qualify, signed with UCF after junior college and now a senior there.
- DB Makiri Pugh, Sr.: Transferred to Colorado due to lack of playing time at UGA.
- DE Montez Robinson, Sr.: Dismissed after arrest on domestic violence charges
- OL Chris Little, Sr.: Transferred to junior college, played one year at Southern University, ruled ineligible.
NOTE: Tailback Caleb King (academically ineligible), linebacker Marcus Dowtin (transfer) and safety Nick Williams (transfer) also left with eligibility remaining, but that eligibility would have been exhausted by this season.