TB Isaiah Crowell working with No. 1 offense at outset of spring practice
ATHENS – Quick observations from my first (short) glimpse of Georgia’s spring football practice. We only got about 20 minutes, but here goes:
- When they initially broke out into teamwork, the tailback rotation went as follows: sophomore Isaiah Crowell first, then senior Richard Samuel, then sophomore Ken Malcome, then true freshman Keith Marshall. Not sure if it means anything or not but that’s the way they went in and out as they worked fast through two-minute drill. . . . In case you missed it earlier, rising senior Carlton Thomas has decided to leave the team while seeking a transfer.
- Samuel, who had two ankle surgeries following the Florida game last fall, was limping noticeably but working throughout.
- Malcolm Mitchell, as expected, was working exclusively with the defensive backs and looking good doing it. His 6-foot-1 frame looks taller working with among the DBs. He made a spectacular, over-the-shoulder, one-handed grab during one drill. Had on white jersey and didn’t look as though he was going to work any with wideouts.
- Looks like some position switches along the defensive front. Ray Drew and Cornelius Washington were working with the defensive ends rather than the outside linebackers. Former defensive end Derrick Lott was rotating with John Jenkins at noseguard. I didn’t see Kwame Geathers but I don’t know if that means anything. He is on the roster, however.
- The following players were wearing green jerseys, which signifies they’re injured and being withheld from contact: WR Chris Conley (left wrist), WR Rhett McGowan (unknown), OT Xzavier Ward (knee), OT Zach DeBell (ankle) OLB Sterling Bailey (foot)
- Offensive line on day 1 looked like this: LT – Kenarious Gates, LG – Kolton Houston, C – David Andrews, RG – Chris Burnette, RT Watts Dantzler. JUCO transfer offensive lineman Mark Beard was working at second-team left tackle when I saw him and was looking quite a bit like Justin Anderson physically while wearing the No. 79 jersey.