All Bulldogs present, accounted for in Tampa for Outback Bowl

Greetings from Tampa. Or, more accurately, Indian Rocks Beach. That’s where I’m staying this week.

Brought the fam and found a great deal on a condo on this little strip of beach just south of Clearwater and Sand Key. So while I’m shuffling between football practices and news conferences and luncheons covering the Bulldogs this week, at least my wife and son can enjoy some sand and surf.

Getting here was no small task. I don’t know how many Georgia fans are making the hike down here — the Bulldogs sold out of their 12,500-ticket allotment and many more are supposedy coming in addition — but if you’re driving, be sure to allow yourself some extra time. I left mid-morning Monday and, , including a stop for gas and one short stop for a quick meal, it took us 10 hours to get here. Normally it should take 7 or 8. About the time I saw my first column of brake lights I remembered an old vow to never travel the day after Christmas.

Construction along I-75  in South Georgia — hasn’t that been going on for like 30 years now? — exacerbated the situation. That and the uncanny knack of people to run their cars into the back of others. I saw it happen three times myself. So if you’re driving I’d humbly suggest leaving really early in the morning or late at night. That, or just do what I usually do — fly here.

Anyway, as a result of the unanticipated delays, I didn’t make it to A La Carte Pavilion for the “Outback Steakhouse Team Welcome Dinner” for both the Bulldogs and Michigan State Spartans. My chief reason for wanting to make that was to find out if all the players showed up. Invariably there are some stragglers or academic casualties for bowl games.

But I spoke on the phone to UGA Sports Communication associate Steve Colquitt and he assured me that everybody showed up on time except for one unnamed player who got sick on the way down (he had to stop but is expected later). Otherwise everybody is expected to be present and accounted for.

If you want more details, my pal Gentry Estes, clearly a more proficient traveler, made it for Monday evening’s festivities and filed this report at Dawgs247.com. He reports that head coach Mark Richt said that all players maintained their eligibility for this year’s bowl, a marked improvement over last year when there were three academic casualties for the Liberty Bowl.

The Bulldogs will resume preparations in earnest Tuesday morning with their first workout at the University of Tampa. I’ll file some reports from there later. They moved the starting time up 20 minutes because of expected rainy weather. Forecasts call for rain all day and perhaps some thunderstorms, but it’s supposed to clear out quick and be sunny and mild the rest of the week.

So come on down! Just take your time getting here.

There’s much more to come this week. In the meantime, here’s some links to the last few stories I’ve written in advance of the Outback Bowl:

Cmon man

December 27th, 2011

wait a minute what happened to everybody with those “inside sources” that said crowell was going to flunk off of the team? I guess its back to the drawing board so u can create more rumors about this kids oops I meant maybe you can get more “inside information”

Cmon man

Joey

No kiddin. Im sure more rumors to come. GO DAWGS!!! GATA

NewnanRxDawg

December 27th, 2011

Glad everybody made it safely. Go dawgs.
IC update: nothing to report. Good news.
Checklist: win bowl game, hit recruiting trail hard! Next year could be a great year for the dawgs, but it’s going to take a few missing pieces that I think might be graduating high school in may. Go get them CMR.

Spike

I’ll be there!

Nub

December 27th, 2011

Glad to see all have made it safely… Time to hunker down
and whip some Sparty…!

oakisland

December 27th, 2011

Win the bowl game. Finish strong in recruiting and go to spring practice with a winning attitude and please kick South Carolina and Steve Superior’s butt and start a string of dominance over them and Florida and coach Mustrant. GATA. I love our dawgs.

Paddy

December 27th, 2011

Chip…….Since U of Tampa has no football team, how is their practice facilities? I remember the campus as being sort of “Old World” in apperance. Maybe a Spanish flare to it. Nice little place.

Max Sizemore

December 27th, 2011

Chip, I live in central Florida not that far from the interstate and it takes me nearly seven hours to drive to Atlanta and 2:20 to get to St. Pete-Clearwater. So I think your 10-hour travel time is closer to reality than seven or eight.

DawgJohn

December 27th, 2011

I guess that is good and bad news. Glad they all made it but a little fuzzy on how “one” can make it without every passing a class! I should know better!

Esaun211

December 27th, 2011

All the bloggers with inside info need to be drug tested. Real homo to sit and spread rumors on 18 year old kids; be a PSU fan so you will fit in with the other boy harasser

AltamahaDawg

December 27th, 2011

You have to admit that was pretty clever of the guy. Appearantly when you don’t go to class for weeks, they can’t fail you.

Frankly

December 27th, 2011

Max, you must drive very slowly, I can make it in the 7-8 hour range that Chip mentions.

more hate

December 27th, 2011

Guess Crowell is on his way out the door. What a waste!

Lowcountry Bulldawg

7 hrs / 457.12 miles

According to Mapquest, but some will debate the validity of this as this blog is full of a bunch of Sally and Sue’s

Dawg in gatorville

December 27th, 2011

I am so stoked for the Dawgs to be here!! This was a wonderful Christmas with all my Gator relatives not running their mouths and even telling me they hope the Dawgs beat the Spartens.
GO DAWGS!

Cardinal Sin

AltamahaDawg

December 27th, 2011

People, traffic, roads, in the other Georgia? naw

4.29

Still@theBAR August 31st, 2011 11:13 am

“UGA goes 4-4 in the SEC.”
____________________________________
Old Old Dawg August 31st, 2011 11:13 am

“My buddy now says that I am nuts to think we can’t beat Boise. When was our last victory over a ranked team, especially one with an excellent, established quaterback?”
______________________________________________
CHDawg August 31st, 2011 11:21 am

“OK, I’ll go out on a limb and say we take the NC this year. I am an optimist, but here is what I like. First, don’t let polls and pundits get you down. I also think CMB has grown a lot as a play caller in the last couple of years. Murray will be much better, and I think our receivers/TEs will be great. Special teams are very, very strong. Lord willing, I think this is a team of destiny, but heads up–I am an optimist.”
_____________________________________________
Columbus Dawg August 31st, 2011 11:33 am

“Bill, get ready for some new bumper stickers! I know that you have to remember all of the stickers that emerged in 1980 after it had become obvious that UGA was not going down, no matter what. Besides all of the Super Dawg stickers about Hershel, there was one that read: Hershel by land, Rex by toe, Buck by air will surely get us there! We can replace these names with Isaiah, Blair, and Aaron this year. I don’t mind going out on a limb because I truly believe that the Dawgs have a real chance this year. I do not know if the Dawgs can make all the way without a single loss this year, but 11-1 is sure not out of the question. Now with the media being down on the Dawgs as they are, even if UGA were to win the SEC Championship, a loss may well keep them out of the BCS Championship, but who knows. Maybe we get the right bounce and get all twelve wins regular season, along with some new bumper stickers!”
__________________________________________________
Reality August 31st, 2011 11:40 am

“Lets face reality, with the level of talent this team could really have a legitimate shot at running the table and winning the SEC. HOWEVER, as everyone knows, this team has not played a complete game as a complete unit in a long time. When is the last time that the offense, defense, and special teams had a great day on the same day? It seems as of late that when the offense has a good game, the defense is sleeping, or the defense will have a good day while the offense forgets to show up (Look at (UCF). To me, that is the fault of the head coach. It is his job to ensure that the rest of the coaches have the players ready to play both mentally and physically. It is also his duty to address the issue of Bobo’s play calling being so predictable.”
__________________________________________________
ca dawg August 31st, 2011 11:55 am

“i said 9-3 as well, but i’d believe 10-2 or 8-4. much depends on things we just can’t know right now (staying healthy, how fresman develop, etc…). all i know is i can’t wait to kick it off and GATA against the broncs.”
____________________________________________________
BigRedandBlackDAWG August 31st, 2011 12:23 pm

“have i been banned for being too optimistic?”
_____________________________________________________
DawginLex August 31st, 2011 4:03 pm

“SC season

Garcia arrives drunk to season opener.
Spurrier proclaims he is a good person and fixes him coffee
Garcia throws 3 picks but SC manages to beat ECU 31-30

My order arrives to Garcia’s dorm on Wednesday night: 2 Hookers and a case of Bud Light. Garcia misses Thursday team meeting. Spurrier fixes more coffee. Also takes him to Clinic for shots. Increases 1st team reps for Shaw. Shaw starts UGA game and throws 4 picks, 2 returned for TD’s. Georgia 24 SC 14

Spurrier announces this will be his final season at SC

Season implodes

Losses to UT,Florida,Kentucky,Arkansas and Clemson in addition to UGA loss

6-6 season

School declines bowl invitation.

Hires Mike Leach so Garcia will have someone to drink with.”
______________________________________________________
Beast from the East August 31st, 2011 5:03 pm

“8-4 with losses to SC, UT, UF and one other upset somewhere along the way (Auburn, MSU or Kentucky).

Kick some butt in the Dome this weekend, Dawgs!”
________________________________________________________
FLA DAWG August 31st, 2011 5:37 pm

“8 – 4 or 7 – 5 season and Richt knows he’s a gonner after the South Carolina loss.”
_____________________________________________________
Dr. Morpheus August 31st, 2011 6:10 pm

“We will defeat Boise State”
_____________________________________________________
Beast from the East August 31st, 2011 8:33 pm

“Athens Dawg,
What will you say when we notch our 19th out of 22? If UF is so pitiful, then why does your team and coach crumble when they face the Mighty Gators?”
_____________________________________________________
Thomas Brown September 1st, 2011 2:18 am

“Who are we ? 7-Loss team, half the players with pulled quadriceps, hamstrings and groins from improper Strength and Conditioning and the other half of the players were kicked off the team. This is no springboard for Boise State to any national championship. Boise State has never had any hope and never will of being in any national championship them on their blue field with 33,000 watching in blue uniforms while they have a great uni and we have CLOWN SUITS with red pants in route to 11-3 season.”

“If we do play a team who does end up in the Top 10, like Alabama we will be CLOCKED. And, you know that too, and you know it from these specific facts. I root for this team as much if not more than all of you combined, but I don’t drink the Kool-Aid”

“Grow up. 11-3, while you sit there squirming in your seats afraid to put up that if we go 11-3, we beat no one. We have what ? A 5-Loss South Carolina team as our best opponent ? 11-3, and we will have beat no one.”
______________________________________________________
Thomas Brown September 1st, 2011 6:56 am

“You’ll have to name the team for me that is any good that we will beat.”
_________________________________________________________

william cranman

December 27th, 2011

Chip, are the practices open to the public and what is the practice schedule?

bitter QB

December 27th, 2011

@4.29—stop crack smoking so early—–0-12 for dawgs with murry at QB—against top 25 teams

Lowcountry Bulldawg

Chip,

I think we that post 4.29/Thomas Brown/buLLdawg/Mathew Ciafaro is making his final push for that Mythical Blogger of the Year award. He obviously is validating how all other bloggers are inferior to his superior intellect. I nominate him for the award because he is so humble in his approach to blogging. A real role model for fellow trolls to immulate.

Steven

bitter QB,

Auburn and GA Tech were both ranked in the top 25 when we played them. I’m not a statistician nor a rocket scientist, but I believe that would be 2 tallies in the victory column for ‘murry’. I didn’t realize K-Mart had wi-fi and allowed their employees to get online during the day.

SW Florida 'Dog

December 27th, 2011

I’ll come to Chip’s defense.

Ten hours from Atlanta to Tampa is not at all unexpected the day after Christmas.

The entire states of Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana are bound down I-75 for my town.

The Hoosiers think the proper way of Interstate highway driving is two or three Indiana tags driving abreast at 55 miles per hour.

None of the midwesterners knows the purpose of an acceleration lane or a deceleration lane or has the slightest concept of slow cars in the right hand lane.

When our “Winter Visitors” come down, our nearly excellent local road system becomes a parking lot because none of them knows how to drive.

Then again, I learned to drive in Atlanta and I love the Connector at rush hour. Adrenaline rush!

UGA Insider

December 27th, 2011

No traffic in Lowndes and Cook County any longer. All lanes have been completed and nice. Terrible road contruction however around Cordele I think. Be careful it’s dangerous.

Bill did you ever name who troll of the year is? I said last week it was SSI but others think it is Thomas Brown. See ya in Tampa when we roll MSU.

UGA 37
MSU 14

UGA starts 2012 ranked #8 in the land. Missouri will replace Bama on the schedule and UGA could easily go undefeated. If Washington and Rambo stay in school it could be awesome.

Jack Sparrow Captain of the SS Kool-aid

4.29

Brings facts to this blog that the rest of you “We are winning the National Championship Next Year” idiots just cant handle.

A 1970s era UGA fullback from TPA

December 27th, 2011

UGA had Bobby Burns back in the 1970s Fullback from Tampa. He did fairly well with UGA but did play for the NY Jets for more than a few seaons as a solid fullback and if I recall, he did room with Joe Namath on road trips. I knew some UGA linemen of that era and they talked about Burns’s experieces of hanging out with Joe The Jet.

Current weight trainer Coch Tereshinski was one of his pals too. All really great, fun loving guys they were.

Go Dogs.

dawggirl

December 27th, 2011

Wish I could make it down to Tampa, but thrilled to hear everyone is there safe and sound. Also great to hear we sold out our allotment.

I’ve been watching a lot of the lesser bowl games, just because I cannot stand a day without football in it.

That Falcons game last night though, I would have gladly given that up. Atrocious.

WDE

December 27th, 2011

@Jack Sparrow Captain of the SS Kool-aid which of the teams we beat this year is yours…? @SW Florida ‘Dog that was funny….not sure what is worst for you the mid westerns or the Atlanta drivers you have to put up with this time of year…while they are polar opposites in driving styles they both have to be rather annoying to the locals…

Coach Ray Goff

December 27th, 2011

Didn’t see any familiar names on the police blotter. Great start! Hunker down!

Destin Dawg

December 27th, 2011

go Dawgs… beat MSU… next year will be awesome !!!!

Russ, the Temporary Mascot

December 27th, 2011

“All accounted for” because the running backs are in lockdown. Coach won’t let ‘em out until just before game time. I hope no warrants are served on the field.

gt4ever

December 27th, 2011

Michigan State will be the better teams that you will have played all year…. It would be something different for you to beat a good team… I don’t think it happens, but that is why you play the game. Good luck in Tampa! You will need it….

Old Dawg

December 27th, 2011

Coaching turmoil at Fla.. Awlbarn, Tenn.. now S.C… 2012 is our year in the SEC. east..

East Repeat

December 27th, 2011

Thanks, 4.29. Good to force a little crow down DawginLex’s throat. How did that Carloina game go, Lex? And I agree, special teams has really been outstanding! All special teams players for UGA arriving via short bus to Tampa for bowl game.

East Repeat

December 27th, 2011

Can’t believe that “short bus” comment got through PC censors!

Jack Sparrow Captain of the SS Kool-aid

December 27th, 2011

“2012 is our year in the SEC east”

LOL

It should be almost every year with the talent UGA has had, gets, and will continue to get

but whats funny is this program cant even beat every SEC east team in the same year

Even when the East has been the worst ever you still lose to one of the East teams.

Yet Spurrier at SC did it.

Now thats coaching with no where near the same talent.

bitter QB

@steven—name 1 quality win aaron murry has produced as the starting dawg QB

———-get off your butt your late for your wal-mart shift—————-hudson mason—is a winner

Old Dawg

SS Kool-aid… Grantham is the difference

WDE

December 27th, 2011

@bitter QB really bozo who has Hutson beat? I agree he is a DGD but really how in the world do you trolls actually make the leap from good in mop up duty to the next Drew Brees ?

gt4ever

December 27th, 2011

It’s still amazing how many dawg fans see Grantham as anything but a JOKE… True Dawg football loyalty…

WDE

December 27th, 2011

@gt4ever tell you what you keep Ol’ Al and we will keep CTG..deal?

Dawg48

4.29= bitter= sparrow

One in the same, don’t pay them any attention.

bitter QB

December 27th, 2011

@wde—-hudson mason is not 0-12 against top 25 teams———murry is——go back side your

———————trailer

10 out of 11

December 27th, 2011

gt4ever: why are you even here commenting about the outback bowl? You lost on the last Saturday in November just like you always do and so your time to run your mouth has passed yet again. You can’t beat UGA or Mark Richt so shut the hell up!

bitter QB

December 27th, 2011

just watched this mourning on SEC express the georgia vs boise st game, yesterday

—–it was georgia vs south carolina——————fact that murry wets the bed in big games

———–love my dawgs butt it is hudson MASON time

KOOL

December 27th, 2011

when can we expect 2012 schedules to be announced?

WDE

December 27th, 2011

@bitter QB lets see you only count teams that finish top 25 without regard that Murray in to some extent the very reason they are not ending the season in the top 25 because he and UGA knocked them out of the top 25…how convenient! and are you always in mourning when you watch SEC express or just today?

Reality check

December 27th, 2011

Gt4ever—-you have stated that GT was not a good team and that you love Al Groh as your DC. Maybe that is why GT is such a joke as a football program -fans with expectations like yours.

bruce mac

December 27th, 2011

I think Hudson deserves his shot. He looks good in mop up situations but you never know how he will do when live bullets are flying and game is on the line. Why not find out now? Do we really need to win this second tier bowl so bad that we cannot give him a chance? I am confused and perplexed and some other big word I can’t spell.