UGA’s Ben Jones racks up at Bulldogs’ Senior Gala awards banquet
In case you didn’t catch it ( I didn’t as I was on a farm in Blythewood, S.C.), senior Ben Jones was the big winner at the Bulldogs’ annual Senior Gala awards banquet this past Saturday night at the Classic Center in Athens. He took MVP honors and also was named permanent team captain. Interesting to note that Isaiah Crowell, The Associated Press SEC Freshman of the Year, did not receive any awards, but his cousin, Quintavius Harrow, did. Here’s what individual awards were handed out (the Governor’s Trophy for beating Georgia Tech was also presented):
- Vince Dooley Most Valuable Player of the Year Award: C Ben Jones, Sr.
- Most Valuable Offensive Player: QB Aaron Murray, So.
- Most Valuable Defensive Player: LB Jarvis Jones, So.
- Most Valuable Special Teams Player(s): P Drew Butler, Sr.; LB Kosta Vavlas, RFr.
- David Jacobs Award (for courage, spirit, character and determination): G Chris Burnette, RFr.; LB Alec Ogletree, So.
- Permanent Team Captain: C Ben Jones, Sr.
- Offensive Captains: TE Orson Charles, Jr.; OT Cordy Glenn, Sr.
- Defensive Captains: CB Brandon Boykin, Sr.; LB Jarvis Jones, So.
- Leon Farmer Award (for strength and conditioning): Boykin and Jones.
- Outstanding Scout Team Award(s): QB Greg Bingham, RFr.; LB Corey Campbell, RFr.; CB Eric Elliott, Sr.; CB Luis Capella, So.
- Most Improved Awards: OT Justin “Bean” Anderson, Sr.; DE Abry Jones, Sr. ; LB Mike Gilliard of Valdosta, Jr.; S Connor Norman, RFr.
- Newcomer of the Year Award(s): WR Michael Bennett, RFr.; WR Chris Conley, Fr.; WR Malcolm Mitchell, Fr.; LB Amarlo Herrera, Fr.; NG John Jenkins, Jr.; DB Quintavius Harrow, Fr.
- Coaches Leadership Award(s): Offense — Charles, Murray, Jones; defense– DE DeAngelo Tyson, Sr., and Boykin (defense); special teams — Butler