Evans documents include e-mail from Courtney Fuhrmann (UPDATED 5:30 P.M.)

(Updated 5:30 p.m.)

ATHENS — The University of Georgia turned over about 500 pages of documents regarding ousted athletics director Damon Evans on Tuesday, one of them an e-mail from Courtney Fuhrmann, the woman who was in the car with Evans on the night of his DUI arrest in Atlanta.

The e-mail indicated that Evans and Fuhrmann met on the night of May 20, about six weeks before the arrest that led to Evans’ resignation as Georgia’s AD.

“Wanted to thank you all again for last night,” Fuhrmann wrote to Evans in the e-mail, which was sent at 11:04 a.m. on May 21. “We had a great time and it is always refreshing meeting what is the phrase of the night — ‘good people.’

“Hope everyone made it home safe,” wrote Fuhrmann, 28, who lives in Atlanta. “Look us up next time you are in town if you like. Take care and look forward to a great football season.”

The documents released Tuesday by Georgia, in response to an open-records request from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, show that Evans and Fuhrmann exchanged two text messages later on May 21 and 15 subsequent texts over the next two weeks. More recent cell-phone records are not yet available, UGA said.

On the night Evans was taken into custody, Fuhrmann — who also was jailed, on a charge of disorderly conduct — told an officer she had been seeing Evans “only a week or so,” according to the arrest report.

There is no indication from the documents released by UGA where Evans and Fuhrmann might have met on May 20. Evans’ calendar for that day shows no appointments after 3 p.m.

The documents reveal that Evans had a busy day on June 30, which ended with him being pulled over by the Georgia State Patrol near midnight in Atlanta.

His calendar for that day shows a series of appointments in Athens, starting with an 8 a.m. staff breakfast and continuing with several meetings sandwiched around a tennis appreciation lunch. His schedule was clear after 3:30 p.m., showing no business reason for that night’s trip to Atlanta. His next scheduled meeting was to have been at 8:30 a.m. July 1 with football coach Mark Richt.

Evans, of course, did not make that meeting.

Beginning almost immediately after news broke of his arrest, Evans received several hundred e-mails from friends, colleagues and UGA fans and alumni. Some of the messages chastised Evans, but most offered support.

Former UGA provost Arnett Mace wrote on the evening of July 1: “I just want you to know how much I admire you as a person and the leadership displayed as the AD. You are one of my favorite people and friends. I don’t know anyone, including myself, who has not made mistakes in our adult life.”

Evans received several supportive e-mails from athletics directors around the country, including Ohio State’s Gene Smith and UCLA’s Dan Guerrero.

“Hang in there,” Smith wrote. “These are times when you need those of us in the business to be there for you and I am!! Be strong and grow from this.”

Vanderbilt vice chancellor David Williams wrote: “We all make mistakes but the measure of a person is what they do next and how they rebound from that mistake. I have all the confidence in the world that you will learn from this mistake and be back stronger than ever. . . . We got your back.”

Other e-mails, often anonymous, were sharply critical of Evans. One, signed “Tony in Georgia,” said: “You brought shame to UGA.”

Also released by UGA on Tuesday was Evans’ 41-page personnel file. It mostly contained documentation of a series of raises through the years; the last entry in the file was paperwork on Evans’ raise to $550,000, which was to have taken effect July 1, the day after his arrest.

Evans’ personnel file contained no reprimands of any sort.

UGA said Evans’ annual performance reviews were conducted orally by UGA President Michael Adams, who last week said he never before had reason to question Evans’ judgment or conduct.

Comments are closed.