Athens – Before moving on to Week 2 of Georgia’s preseason camp, let’s quickly rewind Week 1. Here are 10 things worth noting and noticing:
1. Chris Davis, who started camp on the second-team offensive line after off-season hip surgery, wasted no time reclaiming a spot on the first unit. By the end of the very first practice, he was there, supplanting Vince Vance at left guard.
2. Finally, Kwame Geathers was cleared academically by the NCAA. But now, he has a long way to go physically to catch up with his teammates who were working out on campus all summer.
3. It’s fun to see how much fun Jeff Owens is having, how much he appreciates being back from knee surgery.
4. In a sign of the times, freshman tailback Washaun Ealey broke the news of his elbow injury on his Facebook page, and Owens tweeted frequent updates on Twitter.
5. Linebacker Darryl Gamble is making a lot of plays — two interceptions and two fumble recoveries in one practice alone.
6. “I’m probably gonna cry!” That’s what freshman WR Marlon Brown said at the mention of the Bulldogs’ preseason tradition for freshmen to get their heads shaved by upperclassmen.
7. So far so good on the all-important comebacks by OT Trinton Sturdivant and DT Owens. “You see no ill effects,” Mark Richt said. “You don’t see them favoring anything.”
8. The decision won’t come until after one or two scrimmages, but it looks and sounds as if Logan Gray has a solid grip on the job of No. 2 quarterback.
9. Rest assured that players and coaches alike are taking a serious attitude toward reducing penalties.
10. And a nice ending to Week 1: Hard-working offensive lineman Casey Nickels was awarded a scholarship after three years as a walk-on.