With the Republican National Convention less than a week away, businesses all over Tampa Bay are hanging out the red, white and blue or whatever else it takes to attract traffic and cash from the thousands of visitors.
Golf courses are doing their part, eagerly awaiting a late-summer surge in business that doesn’t come all the time. At Innisbrook Resort in Palm Harbor, that means renaming the 18 holes of its famed Copperhead Course in honor of the 18 Republican presidents.
So for convention week, here’s the scorecard at Copperhead. (Feel free to also use this list to quiz your political-junkie friends.):
1. Abraham Lincoln (in office from 1861-65)
2. Ulysses S. Grant (1869-77)
3. Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-81)
4. James A. Garfield (1881)
5. Chester A. Arthur (1881-85)
6. Benjamin Harrison (1889-93)
7. William McKinley (1897-1901)
8. Theodore Roosevelt (1901-09)
9. William Howard Taft (1909-13)
10. Warren G. Harding (1921-23)
11. Calvin Coolidge (1923-29)
12. Herbert Hoover (1929-33)
13. Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-61)
14. Richard Nixon (1969-74)
15. Gerald R. Ford (1974-77)
16. Ronald Reagan (1981-89)
17. George H. W. Bush (1989-93)
18. George W. Bush (2001-09)
The first hole at Copperhead is a par 5 that’s demanding but fair – a little like Lincoln, eh? Wonder how Chester Arthur would feel about his name on the No. 1 handicap hole, a monster 605-yard par-5. The last three holes at Copperhead are known as the “snakepit,” not exactly the political label one would want—but that’s where Reagan, Bush and Bush are.