It offers free entertainment by the famed Little River Band and Rockit Fly, plus more than 60 professional and backyard (amateur) teams cooking up their best barbecue to win more than $20,000 in prize money and trophies.
Sounds like a blast. Sounds tasty.
But this, this is positively delicious. Area hotels and inns are serving up are amazing deals for the event. We’re talking free nights at one place and $79 for rooms at another, and lots more. Check it out:
- Addison on Amelia offers a free night on reservations of four nights or more during the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off weekend.
- Amelia Island Hampton Inn at the Beach is offering a $99 rate for a double room, plus tax, during the cook-off.
- Amelia Hotel at the Beach is offering standard rooms (king or double) for $79 per night for visitors attending the cook-off. The rate is only available through phone reservations and includes free parking, free Hot & Healthy breakfast daily, an afternoon warm cookie service and the new Lobby Lounge featuring a variety of beverages. Make sure to use rate code COOK when booking the deal. (This is one of the places I’ve stayed on Amelia Island. It’s really comfy, and right across the street from a lovely beach.)
- Beachside Motel will offer a third night free during the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off. For visitors who can only stay for two nights, the property is offering a 20 percent discount. Only one discount is allowed per room. The offers are valid August 22-27, 2012. You must call (877) 261-4236 to receive the discount.
- Elizabeth Pointe Lodge is walking distance from the event and offers a Third Annual Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off Package starting at $578. The package includes a king bed, sunset guest room for two nights, bike rental for two, hor d'oeuvres reception each evening, complete breakfast each morning, newspaper, Wi-Fi, beach equipment and parking. (I’ve also stayed here. The location is a ‘ten,’ and the staff is wonderful. They offer lots of wonderful little details, like warm, fresh baked cookies.)
- Fairbanks House is offering a bottle of Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and a bag of Southern Slush Mix to guests staying three or more nights for the Cook-off. Guests will also be treated to gourmet breakfasts and evening social hours with adult beverages and hors d'oeuvres. This offer is available for new bookings only, and one offer per room. Mention code STC12 when making your reservation.
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation is offering their Beach and Breakfast package during the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off. The package includes accommodations, breakfast for each registered guest, and use of the health and fitness center. Prices start at $179 per night. You must use code LEISBF when booking.
- Residence Inn, Amelia Island is the official host hotel of the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off and recently received the Diamond designation, Marriott’ Highest Level of Distinction. The property offers rates starting at $109 per night, which includes free hot full breakfast, evening social, and shuttle service to the cook-off. Mention Tailgate Cook-off to get the rate.
- The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island is offering the Comfort You package during the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off weekend. The package includes accommodations, breakfast for two and a $75 resort credit. The package starts at $379 per night.
Event details: The Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off is a Kansas City Barbeque Society sanctioned event and is a fundraiser for the Gator Bowl Association. The event begins at 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 24, and 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 25. BBQ lovers will be able to enjoy free entertainment throughout the two-day event. Additional regional bands will also perform during the cook-off.