Auburn’s recruits from Georgia react to hiring of Guz Malzahn
Auburn’s football recruits from Georgia got the news about Tuesday’s hiring of Gus Malzahn. Most of them want to know more about or meet Malzahn, or see whom he is going to hire as defensive assistants before saying much more:
New Auburn coach Guz Malzahn (AP)
- Carl Lawson, DE from Milton High School (ranked nation’s No. 2 overall prospect by ESPN): “Don’t have much information on him.”
- AJ Jackson, TE from Lovejoy High School: “My coach told me, but I don’t really know who that guy is. I’ve never heard of him before, but I’m sure he’s good if Auburn hired him. They said he was the OC at Auburn a couple of years ago. It’s a good thing he’s been a coach at Auburn before.” The 6-foot-6 Jackson has scheduled an official visit to Mississippi State on Jan. 25, and will also take trips to Florida State and Ole Miss.
- Jimmy Hutchinson, punter from Harrison High School: “I’m super excited about it. I know Auburn is heading in the right direction. I feel like (Malzahn) was a great all-around choice. I couldn’t be happier.”
- Jarrad Davis, LB from Camden County High School: “It’s a very interesting hire. I’m still not sure if I want to go to school there, though. I’ve kind of opened things back up lately, and I’ve been talking to a lot of schools. I mean, I’m not really sure where I want to go to school right now. I’m not like 100-percent solid on where I want to go. I used to know. But I’m not sure anymore.” Davis, who has a 3.6 GPA, will take official visits to Ole Miss and Duke over the next two weekends. He also likes Florida, which has yet to offer but stopped by his school on Tuesday to set up an official visit for Jan. 18. Davis will go to Iowa State the week after that. “I’ve got strong interest in Florida. I’ve been talking to them, and I let them know that I’m really interested in their school. That’s pretty much it. I’ve always been high on Florida.” Davis said he was going to “most likely” save his final official visit for Auburn in late January.
Also, it remains to be seen how much of an impact Malzahn’s hiring will have on LB Trey Johnson, who de-committed from Auburn last week. “I think it could be a good fit for Auburn, as far as someone that they are familiar with,” said Johnson’s coach at Central Gwinnett High School, Todd Wofford. “But as far as Trey goes, it didn’t fire him up as much as the Kirby talk” – Auburn’s consideration of Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart. Ohio State and Florida are rumored to be the leaders for Johnson.
THIS JUST IN
WE’RE LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AWAY FROM SIGNING DAY
- – By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.