How will Isaiah Crowell’s dismissal affect UGA’s chances with 5-star RB Derrick Henry?
How will Isaiah Crowell’s dismissal affect UGA’s chances of signing Derrick Henry?
Henry is the 5-star RB who de-committed from UGA earlier this month after being pledged to the Bulldogs for nearly a year. He decided to re-open his recruitment because he felt like he rushed his decision but emphasized that he is still considering UGA.
On Friday, Henry was made aware of Crowell’s arrest on Twitter, and he responded by taking up for Crowell, saying:
“Pray for Crowell instead of bashing him. Because everyone wasn’t raised the same nor made .. So everyone should just pray he sees a better way.”
Later on Friday morning (before Crowell was dismissed), Henry was interviewed on Birmingham’s 97.3FM or SmashMouth Radio. Here are some of the highlights:
- On hearing from UGA since Crowell’s charges: “I haven’t gotten any calls from UGA but fans on Twitter [let me know] what happened this morning, saying they need me back. That’s about it.”
- On defending Crowell on Twitter: “Basically, I just said that everybody needs to pray for Crowell instead of bashing him because everybody wasn’t raised the same or made the same. And pray he sees a better way. That’s a real tough situation .. you can see by his tweets and what he tweets about [that] he had a tough childhood.”
Ex-UGA recruit Derrick Henry showed a lot of class with his compassionate remarks towards Isaiah Crowell (247sports.com)
- On Crowell being charged with gun possession: “I don’t do that but everybody is different. Maybe he had a situation, so you never know what’s going on. The world is crazy nowadays. Nobody can really say until you talk to him, so I couldn’t really speak for him.”
- Henry said his top schools are “Alabama, UGA, Tennessee and USC.”
- Henry said the presence of other top running backs, including Keith Marshall at UGA and TJ Yeldon at Alabama, won’t factor into his college decision. “That won’t weigh [in] at all. That’s competition. Football is competition and that’s what I love. I’m a competitor and I love to compete. Competition is nothing that scares me away from anywhere.”
- Henry said UGA’s Mark Richt and Tennessee’s Derek Dooley were the easiest coaches to talk to, while Alabama’s Nick Saban is not as easy. “[Saban] cracks jokes. At the same time, he’s always serious. I don’t ever laugh, even if he’s laughing or not … I’m not intimidated. I just respect what he’s done. I just try to listen to everything and try to be serious. It’s just respect out for him.”
- Henry will definitely play running back in college.
- Henry’s favorite colors are black and red.
- Henry tentatively plans to announce in December, and will enroll early in college in January.
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
BEST OF THE REST
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.