How did it go with UGA’s top football recruit visiting Alabama over the weekend?
Well, Derrick Henry, the 5-star tailback from Yulee, Fla., remained committed to UGA on Sunday night after returning from his mini-vacation at Alabama.
That appears to be good news for UGA, doesn’t it? However, Henry is keeping people guessing by putting this on Twitter:
“I will make statement soon, after I talk it over with coaches and family”
Henry’s coach at Yulee (Fla.) High School, Bobby Ramsay, made some statements to Dawg247sports (subscription required): He complimented Alabama for its success in winning national championship and putting players in the NFL, said Nick Saban made it clear that Alabama was recruiting Henry at the RB position (and not LB like some have speculated), and said Alabama’s coaches stated “If you tell us not to recruit you, we won’t recruit you, but otherwise we’re going to recruit you.”
The photo that UGA fans cringe to see. 5-star RB Derrick Henry tweeted this picture of him wearing an Alabama jersey, asking "What do you think?"
Henry’s coach has also had some other nice things to say about Alabama recently.
Finally, when will Henry make his highly-anticipated statement? There’s no telling but he just may do it on his Twitter account that you can check it here.
Now to the big question: Should UGA be worried after Henry’s visit to Alabama? Please post below.
What a busy weekend. Let’s hit some of the high spots:
- UGA got commitment No. 20, beating out Georgia Tech in a rare head-to-head showdown for a top in-state prospect. Lots of twists and turns in this one (click here to read more). He’s the son of a former Georgia Tech football star, seemed to almost write UGA off his list at one point because they weren’t keeping in touch on a regular basis, was rumored to be on the brink of committing to Georgia Tech, and then went public with his week-old decision in favor of UGA on Saturday. Here’s the full recap.
- Nick Saban finally got himself a Georgia QB. This year’s class is one of the best ever out of the state, and Saban has been in hot pursuit. He had a 90-minute Skype conversation with Brice Ramsey, who remains committed to UGA. Alabama also made offers to Marietta’s Anthony Jennings (committed to LSU) and Cedar Grove’s Johnathon McCrary (Vanderbilt). Well, one of Georgia’s best has finally committed to Alabama and it’s … (click here)
- Steve Spurrier was really, really happy about signing 12 players out of the state of Georgia last year and he may get just as many this February. The Gamecocks got two commitments over the weekend, including the surprising decision of Camden County OL JP Vonashek, who has two teammates committed to UGA. Vonashek appeared to be on the brink of pledging to UGA only a couple of months ago. What’s the story?
- Just in case you forgot about Robert Nkemdiche, his Grayson teammate committed to a Pac-12 school on Friday night. Friday night? Yes. Will Robert be going with him? You know how those conspiracy theories work. Not likely here, though.
- Georgia Tech had one of its football camps over the weekend, and Paul Johnson explains what he gets out the summer sessions.
Got an item? email@example.com
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.