Recruiting Rewind: Auburn DB signee clarifies Alabama rumors, UGA flirtations
Where was basketball star Tony Parker the day before he picked UCLA last month? Hanging out with his longtime buddy, AJC Super 11 DB Josh Holsey (AJC)
Who was the state’s best defensive back this past season? You could make a case for Josh Holsey, who the most talented DB out of Creekside High School since Eric Berry.
Holsey, an AJC Super 11 selection, grew up following UGA but ended up committing to – and signing with — Auburn over LSU, Virginia Tech and the Bulldogs. He reflected on the recruiting process:
- What was the most creative thing a school or coach did to get your attention? “The UGA coaches all signed my AJC Super 11 photo from the newspaper and sent it to me. I thought that was pretty cool.”
- What school came in second? What could they have done a little better? “Probably LSU. They did everything right. It’s just that Auburn was my first choice.”
- What was the biggest recruiting rumor about you that was not true? “There were rumors that I was going to de-commit from Auburn and go to Alabama. I guess it started when [Alabama assistant Chris Rumph] came by my school after I committed. We talked, and that was about it. I never said anything about Alabama, or had a reason to switch to them or anything like that.”
- There was talk about you were going to take an official visit to UGA in December. You didn’t. What exactly happened? “Georgia had two DBs that ended up committing, so they backed off me. They didn’t have any more slots. They were just honest. Georgia had been talking to me but they said they had to wait to see if the two other DB recruits we’re going to commit. And then they told me that they both did commit, so then they didn’t want me to visit because they didn’t want me to waste my time.”
- What did you think about that? “I don’t know. I mean … it was crazy. I guess it was all good.”
- Which school disappointed you the most during recruiting? “None of them really. Georgia was a little disappointing because they told me to come work for an offer after I had 24 or 25 scholarship offers, or something like that. A lot of people thought that was pretty funny. It was disappointing. I was like ‘that’s crazy.’”
- What was your biggest regret during the recruiting process? “Committing early. You really don’t get to take official visits and spend a lot of time with different coaches at different campuses.”
- How do you think things would’ve been different if you had taken other official visits than Auburn? “Who knows? I don’t know how it would’ve turned out.”
- What NCAA rule would you change about recruiting? “That the coaches can’t text you back, and all that staff, until after you sign. I think there needs to be more contact to build a relationship.
LATEST RECRUITING HEADLINES
WHEN DOES FOOTBALL SEASON START?
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
- Want to see a list of the top 125 prospects state of Georgia who signed with D1 schools? It’s looong. Go here.
Got an item? firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.