Stephenson High School's Class of 2012 is a candidate to lead the nation for the number of seniors that will sign major-college football scholarships (AJC photo by Michael Carvell)
Do you want to some of the state’s top college football prospects in one place?
At least a dozen will play on display at a high school scrimmage at 7 p.m. at DeKalb’s Hallford Stadium.
It’s a football scrimmage between Stephenson and Tucker.
Everybody knows about Stephenson. They’ve got enough talent to compete with a small college (they tried to scrimmage Valdosta State but GHSA wouldn’t allow it. Kidding) Stephenson has 11 seniors that have committed to D1 schools, including 7 to the SEC. The top Stephenson players to watch are DE Jarontay Jones (committed to Virginia Tech), LB Raphael Kirby (Miami), tailback Mike Davis (Florida) and defensive lineman Jafar Mann (Florida).
Then there is Tucker.
For years, Tucker — and not Stephenson — was DeKalb County’s haven for college talent. This year, Tucker doesn’t have as many, but as always they have a few good ones. Linebacker Jacob Sealand is headed to Vanderbilt, picking the Commodores over Miami, among many others. Defensive end Josh Dawson could’ve gone to about any school in the USA, but rather surprised everybody by picking Vandy over Notre Dame and UGA, among others.
TOP 10 RELATED FOOTBALL RECRUITING STORIES
Jacob Sealand is one of 13 committed D1 players on display in tonight's scrimmage. The Tucker LB committed to Vanderbilt earlier this summer. Was offered by Miami the next day, but stuck with Vandy (AJC photo by Michael Carvell)
- Shocker! Longtime UGA WR recruit CJ Curry flips to Oklahoma State (click on story link)
- Surprise! D1 basketball star will play football for “love of game” (click on story link)
- Ex-Georgia Tech QB target quits college football (click on story link)
- Maryland DE Roderick Chungong selects Georgia Tech over Michigan State (click on story link)
- Basketball: UGA strikes again with homegrown talent in Kenny Gaines (click on story link)
- It’s Alabama vs. Auburn on Aug. 17 for Georgia’s No. 1 prospect at DB, Geno Smith (click on story link)
- What if a Georgia HS led nation in D1 football recruits and none of them signed with UGA or Georgia Tech (click on story link)
- UGA’s QB of the future: Yet to start in high school, ready to prove scouts are right (click on story link)
- What do Georgia Tech’s 2012 football recruits think of the NCAA ruling? (click on story link)
- Have you seen this VIDEO?? Milton’s Shaquille Johnson is a YouTube celebrity with his prolific DUNKS. See what everybody is talking about by going here
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
Got an item? firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.