This should make for an interesting message board discussion …
According to Rivals.com, which college has done the best job with football recruiting over the last 10 years?
That would be Southern Cal.
However, UGA is No. 2
According to the recruiting service, the Bulldogs have done the second-best job in the nation for the 2002-2011 cycle, with all 10 of those years under the direction of current UGA coach Mark Richt.
- Interesting: While UGA has never won a mythical national championship in the Rivals.com rankings, the Bulldogs are the only school to finish with a top 10-ranked class in each of the last 10 years.
What about the “Dream Team?” That wasn’t even Georgia’s best recruiting class, according to Rivals. The real “Dream Team” was 2002, when UGA finished No. 3 overall in the nation. In case you are wondering, that year’s class had 31 recruits, led by 5-star LB Marquis Elmore. The better known players are DT Kedric Golston, TE Leonard Pope, WR Bryan McClendon (Georgia’s current RB coach) and last-minute addition Tim Jennings at DB.
Back to Richt: After taking over as UGA’s coach before the 2001 season, Richt has guided the Bulldogs to a 96-34 record in 10 years and two SEC championships. However, Georgia has struggled with a 14-12 record over the last two seasons.
Here are the two questions for discussion:
- How do you feel about Georgia’s recruiting over the last 10 years and the No. 2 ranking?
- How do you feel about Georgia’s success on the football field with its recruiting efforts over the last 10 years?
(To see the rest of the Rivals.com rankings for the last 10 years, please click here. Note: Georgia Tech was not listed in the top 25)
RELATED FOOTBALL RECRUITING STORIES
Mark Richt (left) coaches at the only college to finish in the Top 10 of the Rivals recruiting rankings in each of the last 10 years (AJC)
- How committed is a Georgia RB to Alabama? So much that he cut the “A” in his head (click on story link)
- Georgia QB picks Louisville over Alabama and Mississippi State (click on story link)
- There were some surprises when some of Georgia’s top prospects were clocked in the 40-yard dash at Nike camp (click on story link)
- Who is the best dunker in Georgia history? State your case by going here
- Which elite prospect was UGA’s head coach watching on the first day of the NCAA contact period? (click here for story)
- An NCAA investigation is stalling one of Georgia’s top defensive ends (click here for story)
- A Georgia football coach, who inspired many with his attitude toward a terminal illness, resigns (click here for story)
- After attending Mark Richt camp, offensive lineman commits to SEC school (click here for story)
- One of the state’s top DBs will pick between UGA, South Carolina and Vanderbilt — and sported a Gamecocks baseball cap at football camp on Monday (click here for story)
- Georgia State vs. Georgia Southern fans in an epic message board war right here
- Georgia’s “fastest football recruit” (click here for story)
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog Got a recruiting item? email@example.com
CLICK HERE to catch up on ALL of the LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.