Former Loganville and Buford tailback Storm Johnson is transferring from Miami, according to the ACC school on Tuesday.
“As of this afternoon, Westleigh Storm Johnson is no longer a part of the University of Miami football program,” Miami coach Al Golden said in a statement. “When these situations arise, we always assist the student-athlete and his family in the transfer process. We wish Storm success in all future endeavors.
Last season as a freshman, Johnson carried 19 times for 119 yards at Miami.
What happened? Here’s some insight from the Miami Herald’s Manny Navarro and Barry Jackson:
Storm’s father, Wes Johnson, said his son had spoken to Golden “multiple times” about leaving since he took over as coach.
“He wanted to be closer to home. He’s a mama’s boy and the backfield is crowded,” Johnson Sr. said. “Life is full of surprises. We’re not broken up. It’s his life. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions.”
Johnson, who finished this spring as the team’s No. 3 running back, was one of six players reportedly suspended for the season opener against Maryland – a report coach Al Golden would neither confirm nor deny during spring practice.
Johnson (6-0, 216) also was reportedly involved in an April 27 incident at a UM residential hall for which school police were called to the scene.
Johnson Sr. said he had been told his son he was “not suspended” and that none of that played into his son’s decision.
“He’s coming home, going to relax, get into a workout regime and he’ll decide within then next couple weeks what he’s going to do,” Westleigh Sr. said. “There’s nothing else that needs to be said.
Johnson is the fifth Miami player to seek a transfer since the end of spring practice.
CLICK HERE to catch up on ALL of the LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
Got an item? email@example.com — Inappropriate BLOG comments will NOT be tolerated