Brice Butler is giving USC under Lane Kiffin a second chance, months after his NFL-playing father said he didn’t get a “fair chance.”
Butler has decided not to transfer from the Trojans and will remain a member of the team, the school announced on Monday.
The former Norcross High School football star stated he planned to leave USC after the end of last season. Butler didn’t have much to say about it at the time, but his father did. Bobby Butler, who played defensive back for 12 years with the Atlanta Falcons, told the AJC last January:
“Just like Pete Carroll left last year, we’re leaving this year.”
Butler was redshirted his first year in college but began to emerge the following season, earning Pac-10 All-Freshman first team honors. He was projected to start last season but things changed with the arrival of Kiffin and his recruits.
“You take a kid who is a starter, then the next thing you know you put a kid who has only been [in college practice] for 10 days and start him in front of [Butler]. They didn’t even play the same [wide receiver positions].”
Butler saw his role reduced after the arrival of Kiffin. Butler played in 12 games as a backup wide receiver last season, catching 9 passes for 112 yards and one touchdown.
He had the option of returning to USC for his final two seasons, transferring down to a FCS school (formerly Div. I-AA, such as Georgia Southern) to play for two years, or transferring to another FBS school (I-A) and having to sit out next season before being permitted to play as a senior.
Butler did remain at USC for the spring semester, which likely played a factor in his decision to stay with the Trojans.
Butler will return to a group of USC wide receivers that also includes former Henry County High School star MarKeith Ambles, who also briefly flirted with the idea of transferring from USC (more than once).
CLICK HERE to catch up on ALL of the LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
Got an item? firstname.lastname@example.org — Inappropriate BLOG comments will NOT be tolerated