They say recruiting is like “soap operas for males.”
Rockdale County High School’s Kevin Ware, one of the nation’s top college basketball prospects, will be a nominee for Best Recruiting Story of 2011.
It’s hard to keep up with it all because it seems to change by the hour. To the best of our knowledge on Thursday night, there were two new developments:
1. During player introductions at the Derby Classic in Louisville, Ware was introduced with his name and “undecided” as in his college choice. (Yeah, that might get some folks in the Sunshine State a little worried after Ware committed to Central Florida on Monday). Note: Ware’s stepfather did tell the AJC on Thursday night, “That ‘undecided’ stuff, that was planned before he even left. We had filled out the forms that way, and decided to leave it that way. It wasn’t because he is thinking about changing his mind with Central Florida.” OK, that would’ve cleared up everything until we saw this …
2. The “Cardinal Connect” website reported this:
I started off simply by asking [Ware] if the Central Florida situation was a done deal. He basically responded by saying “No not at this exact time”. I then asked him if he was still considering Louisville, and he responded with “ABSOLUTELY”. Just to push him a little I then asked if he was seriously considering the Cards. He replied with “Yes, I am seriously considering Louisville.”
That led to Ware’s stepfather saying this: “I’m not sure what the (heck) is going on right now. I’m hearing a whole bunch of different stuff. I haven’t talked to Kevin, but he is still going to UCF. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no change. When he gets back from Louisville, we’ll see what’s going on.” [Note: Kevin's mother did make the trip with her son]
Back to the Cardinal Connect: Keep in mind that the Derby Classic is at Louisville with other Louisville recruits participating (including his roommate for the trip) and with a lot of Louisville fans attending the festivities. (Heck), check out the photo of Ware and the reporter for Cardinal Connect. Bottom line: No doubt, Kevin Ware is in a high-pressure environment.
OK, quick recap (apologies if we’ve left anything out):
* Committed to Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl as a sophomore in 2009
* Signed with Vols in November 2011
* Requested and granted release from Tennessee scholarship after Peal firing
* Declared Louisville as frontrunner
* Scheduled official visit last week with Central Florida
* Canceled trip to Central Florida
* Decided at last minute to travel to Central Florida last weekend
* Welcomed Louisville coach Rick Pitino for in-home visit on Sunday night
* Committed and signed with Central Florida on Monday
* Ware’s letter-of-intent was denied because can’t sign two LOIs in same year
* Said he’s still committed to Central Florida
* Said he wouldn’t play in Derby Classic (held in Louisville) on Twitter
* Decided to play in Derby Classic
* Roommate at Derby Classic is none other than another Louisville recruit, Chane Behanan
(To be continued)
What do I think? I think speculation and rumors will continue until Ware enrolls in college classes in June — when he will “officially” be tied that particular school.
That’s two more months for what we’re affectionately and officially calling #KevinWhere on Twitter.
This is recruiting drama at its finest.
CLICK HERE to catch up on the LATEST recruiting news
Got an item? firstname.lastname@example.org — Inappropriate blog comments will not be tolerated