Top performances from state’s blue-chip prospects
There’s a very good chance the state player of the year could come from Gainesville this season. Just which player is another question.
The Red Elephants, ranked No. 1 in Class AAA, feature a pair of AJC Super 11 selections in quarterback Blake Sims and wide receiver Tai-ler Jones. Both had them have lived up to those distinctions. Then there’s the matter of their lesser-known teammate Tyson Smith. As far as big plays per opportunity, his ratio is out of this world.
All their talents were on display this past Friday as Gainesville rolled to a 55-12 victory over North Hall.
>The quarterback Sims — an Alabama commitment — completed 14-of-21 passes for 275 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for another.
>The wide receiver Jones — a Stanford commitment — caught 10 passes for 239 yards and three touchdowns and added a fourth TD on a 47-yard fumble return. A 58-yard punt return TD was called back for a penalty.
>Then there’s Smith, a running back that coach Bruce Miller likes to run at quarterback out of their “wildcat” formation. Smith threw a 90-yard TD pass to running back Teryan Rucker in the fourth quarter on Friday. That made Smith 3-for-3 for 264 yards and 3 TDs as a quarterback this season. That’s a quarterback rating of 1,169.2, according to Bill Murphy of the Gainesville Times.
Those performances topped a weekend full of star-studded performances by major college prospects across the state. Here’s some others of note:
- Lassiter QB Hutson Mason: Set a Class AAAAA state record with 449 yards on 30-of-39 passing with four touchdowns in a win over Campbell. Mason has completed 73 percent of his passes for 1,235 yards with 12 TDs and 3 INTs this season. Follow this link for a story on Mason’s recruitment.
- Collins Hill RB Charles Perkins: The Georgia Tech commitment keeps on trucking. Had 252 yards and three touchdowns on 23 carries in a 51-10 over Northview. That’s 788 yards (197 ypg) and 7 TDs in four games.
- Soutwest DeKalb RB Kendrun Malcome: The Georgia commitment rushed for 113 yards and 3 TDs in a little over two quarters of play in a 48-17 win over Lakeside.
- Stephenson RB Raymond Sanders: The Kentucky commitment rushed for 202 yards and 4 TDs on 18 carries in a 34-13 win at Ware County. He also caught three passes for 48 yards and ran in two two-point conversions.
- Southwest DeKalb DB Jonathan Mincy: The Auburn commitment had two interceptions and an 89-yard kickoff return for a TD.
- Hillgrove QB Synjyn Days: The Georgia Tech commitment was 10-of-15 passing for 190 yards and 2 TDs and ran for two others in a 51-20 win over Decatur.
- North Clayton RB Clarence Jackson: The Ole Miss commitment rushed for 226 yards on 28 carries and had touchdown runs of 52 and 34 yards in a 27-0 win over Ola.
- Sandy Creek RB Rajion Neal: The Mississppi State commitment rushed for 147 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries. He has 599 yards rushing this season.
- Flowery Branch QB Connor Shaw: The South Carolina commitment passed for 201 yards and 3 TDs in a 48-12 win over Chestatee.
- Jefferson County QB B.J. Bostic: The Georgia Tech commitment and Super 11 selection scored TDs passing, rushing and receiving in a 48-3 win over Blcokley County. Another 80-yard TD run was called back.
- Grayson RB Ean Pemberton: The 5-foot-4, 155-pounder had 37 carries for 175 yards and 2 TDs in a 26-16 win over South Gwinnett.
- McEachern RB Rajaan Bennett: This uncommitted prospect had 182 yards on 25 carries with 2 TDs.
- North Gwinnett QB C.J. Uzomah: The 6-foot-5, 225-pound junior accounted for 268 yards of total offense, including 178 yards on 19-of-28 passing, with one TD run and one TD pass, in a big win over Norcross.
- Loganville RB Storm Johnson: The former LSU commitment had 150 yards and 2 TDs in a 31-27 loss to Habersham Central.
- Peachtree Ridge PK Justin Watts: The junior place-kicker made field goals of 31, 35, 32 and 47 yards in wet, sloppy field conditions.
- Carver-Columbus RB Isiah Crowell: Georgia and Florida have offered this top junior prospect, who rushed for 201 yards and 2 TDs in a 28-19 win over Baldwin.
- Washington County RB Montravious Gladden: Rushed for 220 yards and scored five touchdowns in a win over Troup.
- Westside-Macon RB Robert Brown: Recorded his second straight 200-plus rushing game with 231 on 23 carries in 27-7 win over Jones County.
- Wesleyan RB Kyle Karempelis: Rushed for 182 yards and four touchdowns on 25 carries in 30-0 win over Walker.
- Charlton County QB Chris Milton: The junior had 313 total yards — including 203 passing, in a 30-14 win over Tattnall County.
- Savannah Country Day QB Tate O’Connor: 16-of-24 passes for 270 yards and 3 TDs in upset win over Class A No. 30ranked Wilkinson County.
- Lowndes RB Robert Anderson: Rushed for 141 yards on 16 carries in 31-6 over Colquitt Co.
- Johnson County QB D.J. Rozier: Accounted for318 total yards and 5 TDs — four rushing — in a 52-20 win over Metter.
Hey, that’s just some of the standout performances I heard, saw or read about. I’m sure there were others. Let me know about them.