Q100 is currently hyping a big announcement Monday during the 7 a.m. hour that “will change the face of The Bert Show.”
The last time Bert Weiss pulled something like this, it was last year when Melissa Carter said she was leaving.
Here are various possibilities of what might happen Monday and my guess in terms of whether that will actually happen. I have no direct knowledge of what’s going to occur. I’m basing this on logic and what I know of the players involved. And like pundits on cable news, I am not penalized if I”m wrong!
- Jenn Hobby, now remarried and pregnant with her first baby, is ready to move on and focus on her expanding family. This is the likeliest scenario. She’s been on the show for nearly a decade and has been a steadfast character, feeding the show’s fans celebrity news and a sweet persona that never felt forced. Then again, it has to be hard to voluntarily walk away from a six-figure salary, even with a husband who’s a high school principal. 56% chance.
- It’s all a feint. Nobody is leaving. Perhaps the reference of “changing the face” of the show relates to one of the members getting Botox treatment or some sort of face lift. That would be ultra lame, though. 5% chance
- Bert is actually adding someone and nobody is leaving. I don’t think this is likely given budgetary limitations even on a popular show like this, but it would certainly “change the face” of the show. There are plenty of jocks hungering for a new opportunity out there. 5% chance
- Bert is leaving his own show. Hah! Are you kidding me? .00001% chance
- Kristin Klingshirn is leaving. She just got here last year. It’s a great gig. No way. 2% chance
- Jeff Dauler is leaving. With his snarkiness in full force, he is as close to indispensable as anyone in terms of show balance. He signed his last contract two years ago. I presume he has at least a year more on it though he may have an option to leave. [UPDATE: After some further thought, I realize he did seriously consider leaving three years ago. Perhaps he has offers elsewhere that could allow him to be the lead guy on a morning show. So I've upped the chances this is happening since I first wrote this though my gut tells me Jenn is the likelier departure.] 30% chance
- Tracey Kinney, the producer, is leaving. She’s been there a long time. Maybe she’s ready to move on? But would that merit such hype? 2% chance.