Can you imagine if Beavis & Butthead watched “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo”? They’d be falling over themselves giggling non stop. “Huh huh huh. Mama said pee!”
Six things we’ve learned:
- Living near a gas station is not good for your weight. The family lives right next to a convenience store. How convenient! Donta, the store manager, says he sees Pumpkin go in all the time barefoot for drinks and junk food. “I think the store would go out of business if they didn’t come in every day,” one of the astute employees says.
- Roller skating is no picnic. Sugar Bear tries to roller skate with Honey Boo Boo and both are terrible at it – even with a “walker.” (Never seen one of those!) They eventually ditch the skates and just run around with the walkers.
- “Guess the breath” is an actual game! To kill time, they blindfold someone and have to guess the person’s breath. “It smelled like somebody ain’t brush their teeth in 25 years,” Pumpkin notes one person’s breath. At one point, Anna pees on the couch. Yummy!
- Entrepreneurship is not dead in McIntyre. Honey Boo Boo and Mama then make lemonade to raise funds for her pageants. The lemonade has pounds of sugar and lemon juice. What else? They make $25 over two hours.
- Hell’s kitchen is a state of mind. The final scene features Mama making spaghetti or what they call “sketti.” They mix butter and ketchup as a “sauce.” I wonder what Gordon Ramsey would say?
- Editors struggle to fill 30 minutes. While I enjoy Boo Boo’s family, I’m not sure this show has legs. Not enough is happening. Seriously. These folks do love each other but the lack of even natural conflict is a challenge for the viewer and the producers.
By Rodney Ho, Radio & TV Talk