In a new twist on the celebrity competition show, NBC has gathered a group to compete in military-themed challenges for charity, dubbing it “Stars Earn Stripes.”
Atlanta’s Dolvett Quince, a trainer on NBC’s “The Biggest Loser,” is part of the crew.
“They put together a nice celebrity roster,” Quince said in a brief interview today by phone.
Quince recently injured his foot and when I saw him a month ago at his Body Sculptor studios in Buckhead, he was wearing a boot. He said the boot was recently taken off and while he’s still limping, he’s ready to compete. “Nothing can stop me,” he said. “Only me.”
He wouldn’t reveal the charity he is playing for just yet though all will be related to first responders or veterans groups.
The show debuts August 13.
To emphasize the military aspect, General Wesley Clark, the former Supreme Allied Commander Europe for NATO, will co-host with former “Dancing With the Stars” host Samantha Harris.
According to EW.com, which broke the story but didn’t specify how much the winner gets for charity:
The eight competitors will gather at a training facility where they will tackle complicated and difficult “missions” inspired by real-life military exercises. Like on Dancing With the Stars, each celebrity will be partnered with an expert — in this case, an experienced member of the U.S. military or a law enforcement agency. Contests range from helicopter drops to long-range target shooting, with the celebrity and the veteran competing as a team. Each week, one team is eliminated.
Here are the other seven celebrities:
- Dean Cain (”Adventures of Lois & Clark,” endless TV movies), who is on a reality show binge after appearing on dating show “The Choice.” The man has aged well and appears to be in good shape.
- Todd Palin. Sarah Palin’s husband. His daughter Bristol has been on “Dancing With the Stars” and a new Lifetime reality show about her life that debuts this week. Her mom, a staple on Fox News and a former presidential candidate, had a reality show on TLC. He appears to be pretty rugged and savvy in the physical department.
- Terry Crews (TBS’s “Are We There Yet?” “The Expendables,” reality show “Family Crews”) If you’ve seen his crazy Old Spice commercials and “The Expendables,” you know he is ripped.
- Nick Lachey (NBC’s “The Sing Off,” just canceled). No idea how good a shape he’s in. His brother Drew won “Dancing With the Stars.”
- Laila Ali - Muhammad Ali’s daughter is a boxing champ. ‘Nuf said. (She was on “Dancing With the Stars,” too).
- WWE star Eva Torres. Any wrestling champ has to be in great shape.
- Olympic alpine skier Picabo Street. Anybody with Olympic credentials like hers should be able to navigate this game.
By Rodney Ho, Radio & TV Talk