Insecure, intermittently humorous, intermittently annoying Heejun Han is out.
He sealed his fate with a series of really boring performances, followed by a silly Billy Joel goof that Steven Tyler hated. He did up his game a few notches last night but it was clearly too late. His fate was sealed. He knew he had no way of winning this. His voice, as Jimmy Iovine noted, simply wasn’t good enough and his overall stage presence was lacking.
Comedy? Well, we know he’s got a future in Funny or Die videos. We’ll see if he can do anything beyond fading into the woodwork.
Jimmy Iovine’s thoughts:
- Elise: “She took charge of that stage. She led the band. Her hair, her clothes, her vocal ability, it all moved in unison… She has an opportunity with the 80s next week to have two great weeks in a row. If she can do that, she can be in the top of the class. She was a dark horse but now she’s coming on strong.”
- Phillip: “[Steve Nicks] believes in this guy. She thinks he can go all the way. If his original material is 80 percent as good as he is, he is the next American Idol.”
- Hollie: “What she lacks is experience. What she’s doing is technically right and emotionally behind the pack. Jessica takes it more soulfully. Hollie has more an intellectual approach. You don’t win on technique. You win it on soul.”
- Colton: “Colton was good but not good enough… I believe he lost that fight. He didn’t get knocked out but he’s behind on points.”
- Joshua: “This is a tough one for me. He has so much talent. He delivered 85% of the song but when he got emotional. he lost it. His voice closed. On the other hand, when he was in the Michael Jackson medley. He was relaxed. He killed that.”
- Heejun: “It’s great to see Heejun come back. I don’t think it was enough. My problem, I don’t think he sings as well as the other eight contestants on this show.”
- Skylar: “She picked a character song than a song with real melody. She’s going to have to go to songs with more song in them melodically… During the medley, she rose above the pack.”
- DeAndre: “I’m not going crazy for him. I’m not disliking him. For him to win, I think he’s missing something. He needs more experience. His falsetto is beautiful but it could be polarizing.”
- Jessica: “She’s like she’s been doing this for 10 years… She got lost in that song but kept her composure. I’m fully on board with this… What we need is a little girl power [to vote.]”
- The Ford music video: fun to see everyone in 1980s metal gear.
- Nicki Minaj “Starships” : Great, catchy song. Ridiculous outfit as always.
- Scotty McCreery “Water Tower Town” : A year on the road and he is much more self assured. The song is decent. You liked him last year, you’ll still like him now.
- The mansion: architecturally dull but spacious, of course.
Cover it live polls
- Grade Nicki: A-5%, B-26% C-26% F-42%
- Grade Scotty A-16% B-42% C-16% F-26%
Will they save Heejun: 93% No (and correct)
Hollie in bottom three: Expected 44% Travesty 56%
By Rodney Ho, Radio & TV Talk