At about 6:25 a.m. this morning, Rock 100.5’s the Regular Guys were returning from a break when they heard a pop as they were putting on their headphones.
The morning team spied smoke coming out of one of the headphone jacks used by Sebastian “Sebas” Daskawicz-Davis.
“It sounded like a little firecracker,” said “Mixmaster” Mark Owens, the producer (who also does between-innings entertainment during Braves games at Turner Field.) The wiring had shorted and started smoking up the room. “The smoke got worse and worse,” Owens said. He even saw a bit of a flame.
“Is this about to catch on to something?” he thought.
Owens quickly switched to commercials and “best of” bits while most of the team vacated the room.
Eric Von Haessler considered they call the fire department. “Southside” Steve Rickman used a fire extinguisher on the wiring. Larry Wachs videotaped the proceedings at this point:
An engineer deemed the fire minor and cut off all access from that unit. They cleared the room. “The smell of burnt wire was rough,” Rickman said.
In the end, Owens was the only person who stayed in the room the entire time. “Someone had to run the board,” he said.
The team was back on the air at 7:15 a.m., in time for a phone interview with Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, who teased them about an upcoming lunch appearance at a Hooters. “Does Hooters think it can increase traffic” with the Regular Guys there? he asked.
Folks down the hallway at Q100’s The Bert Show and 680/The Fan’s Rude Awakening thought it was a stunt until they smelled the smoke.
By Rodney Ho, Radio & TV Talk