After several years as TV’s pricest TV show (as well as most popular), “American Idol” now has a competitor in NFL’s “Sunday Night Football” on NBC, according to Ad Age estimates.
An ad on “Idol” can cost from $468,100 and $502,900, the survey said, though some advertisers as the finale approaches can pay far more than $600,000. The NBC football program averages $512,367, up from $415,000 a year ago. Ad Age says shows that people are more apt to watch live, as in reality programs like “Idol” and football, are valuable to advertisers.
Sunday night is the most expensive night to buy ads. Thursday is second.
- L.A. Reid spoke to us media folks last Thursday but honestly, he was disappointing. He refused to specifically bad mouth his other judges or their picks, even for fun, although he admitted he didn’t agree with some of the choices. Oh, well.And nobody asked him about whether he shied away from the two country singers because he isn’t into that genre. TMZ claims there is bad blood between Reid and Simon Cowell – or this is simply a publicity stunt?
- RCA’s Jive Records is going away and so is Crystal Bowersox’s record deal with them. Lee DeWyze was cut from RCA recently as well. This is the fastest “Idol” winners and runners up have been dropped, according to this MTV story. This cements what we already knew: season 9 was a dud (although I personally liked Bowersox.) Bowersox will be making her acting debut on ABC’s “Body of Proof” tomorrow night. Her first album “Farmer’s Daughter” sold 210,000 copies, more than winner DeWyze’s “Live It Up” (just 146,000).
“I’m not worried about where I’m gonna be,” Bowersox told TVline. “I’m gonna be making music if it’s on my own label or if it’s with somebody else. I’d love to work with ATO, Dave Matthews’ label. We’ll see what happens.”
- Scotty McCreery’s new video for “The Trouble With Girls”
- Kelly Clarkson tells USA Today she has never been in love. Her fifth studio album “Stronger” is out now. And she’d like to do Broadway one day. Here is a portion of the interview by video and it’s cool beans to see fame hasn’t gotten to her head at all:
- “American Idol’ season 11’s very stylized (but content free) promo:
- “X Factor” will cut five from the 17 Tuesday night.
- Kellie Pickler’s album “100 Proof” is coming out January 24. Unfortunately, her first single “Tough” hasn’t done particularly well. Hopefully, whatever single two is will do better.
By Rodney Ho, Radio & TV Talk