accessAtlanta

City & State or ZIP Tonight, this weekend, May 5th...
City & State or ZIP
City & State or ZIP Tonight, this weekend, May 5th...
City & State or ZIP

Irene helps Weather Channel to record-breaking surge in ratings

The-Weather-Channel-Introduced-New-App-for-Palm-webOSAtlanta-based Weather Channel had a  record-breaking deluge of viewers the past few days thanks to Hurricane Irene, which tortured the East Coast up into New England over the weekend.

At its peak, according to the New York Times, the station generated more than 4 million viewers on Saturday as the hurricane hit land in North Carolina. That’s the most viewers at any one moment in the network’s long history. It also had its best ever day on Saturday in ratings.

TVNewser provided Saturday’s figures for the Weather Channel vs. the other news networks.

Here are the numbers for Total Day viewing on Saturday (6am-2am)

Network Total Viewers A25-54
Weather Channel 2.77M 1.16M
Fox News 1.70M 530K
CNN 1.66M 632K
MSNBC 624K 220K

On Sunday, Fox News full day beat the Weather Channel 1.37 million to 1.29 million. CNN had 1.24 million viewers.

9 comments Add your comment

carla roqs

August 31st, 2011
8:47 am

rodney, the crazy part of that is the newscasters up here were quoting the weather channel. i have never heard a station’s news’ people use stats from the weather channel so much. maybe they did it so we would stay with them rather than flip over to the w.c. it was a wild and scary night.

Bill (Marysville)

August 31st, 2011
10:40 am

Carla, the reason TWC is quoted so much is most likely you were watching an NBC station. NBC and TWC are both owned by Comcast

carla roqs

August 31st, 2011
10:54 am

thank you bill, i sure was. i like the local abc in the atl and the local nbc up here. i appreciate the info.

Guy Sharpe

August 31st, 2011
11:03 am

When you create mass hysteria about an overblown tropical storm then of course people will flock to your channel! Great business decision on the weather channel’s part.

WeatherGeek

August 31st, 2011
12:21 pm

Of course The Weather Channel doubled up it’s competition. The Weather Channel is the authority in weather. Even the Mayor of NY and the Governor of New Jersey was quoting The Weather Channel. And btw, NBCU owns only 25% of The Weather Channel. Two private equity firms own the other 75%.

WeatherGeek

August 31st, 2011
12:22 pm

BTW, the mass hysteria that guy Shapre is speaking of has killed over 35 people due to the massive flooding brought on by the Hurricane, not Tropical Storm.

Steve

August 31st, 2011
12:59 pm

So, why did WXIA (local NBC outlet) go to the trouble and expense of sending the new Little Rock guy up there? Guess they don’t like the Weather Channel’s dozen or so field reporters and think they can do a better job with one.

[...] I learned from the storm. My prayers and sympathy go out to everyone effected by Hurricane Irene.Irene helps Weather Channel to record-breaking surge in ratingsAtlanta Journal Constitution [...]

TWC

September 3rd, 2011
1:33 am

Steve’s comment

“So, why did WXIA (local NBC outlet) go to the trouble and expense of sending the new Little Rock guy up there? Guess they don’t like the Weather Channel’s dozen or so field reporters and think they can do a better job with one.”

Answer: WXIA is not an NBC/Comcast station. They are owned by Gannett. No ties to TWC, so no use of TWC OCM’s or reporters. TWC has no obligation WXIA since they aren’t part of the Comcast Corporation. Gannett’s on it’s own in its coverage of weather.