Channel 2 Action News, the ABC affiliate and the highest rated broadcast news operation in Atlanta, won the most Southeastern Emmys Saturday night among the four local broadcast news networks with 13, four more than last year.
11 Alive News (WXIA-TV), the local NBC affiliate, took home 11 Emmys, including top newscast in a major market, which broke Channel 2’s three-year win streak in that category.
After winning 10 Emmys last year, Fox affiliate WAGA-TV won just three this year. The station changed general manager and news director last year. (Doug Richards on his blog explains why the usually heralded I-Team came home empty handed. The submitted DVD was, um, blank.)
WGCL-TV, the CBS affiliate, improved to five Emmys after two a year ago.
Among the winners:
- News gathering excellence in breaking news: “DeKalb Officer Shot,” Channel 2, Ryan Young, Tom Jones Jason Durden
- News gathering excellence in team coverage: “Crawford Lewis Raid,” Channel 2
- News gathering excellence in spot news: “Capitol Police Shooting,” Channel 2, Richard Elliott, Linda Stouffer
- News gathering excellence in continuing coverage: “Ann Bartlett Investigation,” CBS Atlanta
- News gathering excellence in investigative reporting: (tie) “Stealing Houses” Channel 2 and “Counterfeit Tickets” 11 Alive News
- News and program specialty excellence, business/consumer news: “Foreclosure Fix?” Channel 2, Jodie Fleischer, Josh Wade
- News and program specialty excellence, health/science news: “Faceless Man” WXIA-TV, Jaye Watson, Kenny Hamilton
- News and program specialty excellence, health/science series: “Dangerous Play,” Fox 5 News, Eli Jordan, Beth Calvin, Catherine Williams
- News and program specialty excellence, historical/cultural program feature/segment “Undercover as a Day Laborer” CBS Atlanta, Mike Paluska
- News and program specialty excellence, special assignment reporter news: “Fulton Tax Values,” Channel 2, Jodie Fleischer, Richard Guittar
-News and program specialty excellence, weather: (UPDATE at 1:40 p.m. Monday, June 20, 2011: The Emmy folks posted the wrong information here. I originally had Channel 2 winning but in fact, it was Fox Atlanta’s “Tornado Trouble” that won with Joanne Feldman and Eli Jordan)
- Top weather personality: Justin Lock, CBS Atlanta
- Top on-air reporter, general assignment: Jaye Watson, 11 Alive
- Top on-air reporter, investigative: Jodie Fleischer, Channel 2; Wendy Saltzman, CBS Atlanta
- Top on-air reporter, live: Manuel Bojorquez, Channel 2
- Top on-air reporter, specialty assignment, Harry Samler, CBS Atlanta
By Rodney Ho, firstname.lastname@example.org, AJCRadioTV blog