accessAtlanta

City & State or ZIP Tonight, this weekend, May 5th...
City & State or ZIP
City & State or ZIP Tonight, this weekend, May 5th...
City & State or ZIP

True Oldies 106.7 now officially Atlanta’s Greatest Hits 106.7 with 1970s the focus

50493_269104286092_8606_nThe word “oldies” apparently sounds too old.

True Oldies 106.7 is no more. It’s now dubbed Atlanta’s Greatest Hits 106.7 24/7. (The phrase “Atlanta’s Greatest Hits” was already being used in mornings and late afternoons, where Tripp West recently took over for Fred Brooks. )

On Thanksgiving, the music became much more  heavily 1970s mix as opposed to a blend of 1960s and 1970s.

So fans of the Dave Clark 5, Herman’s Hermits and the like won’t be hearing much from that crew anymore. A few choice cuts from big ’60s acts such as the Supremes, Elvis Presley and the Beatles remain but now it’s more about Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and the Doobie Brothers.

On Thanksgiving, only 49 songs, or about two an hour, were from the 1960s. The 1970s? 256 songs, or more than 10 an hour. There were also 37 songs from the 1980s or one to two an hour. The average age of a song was 1973 and 74% of the songs were from the 1970s, up from 44% the previous Monday.

On November 22,  in comparison, six songs were from the ’50s, 175 were from the 1960s, 157 were from the 1970s and  nine were from the 1980s. The average age of a song was 1970.

UPDATE on Dec. 4, 2010: It appears the weekly playlist is about 800 songs, still considered very deep, though less so than under the old format. The core music used to be 1964 to 1974. Now, it’s 1969 to 1979. On Friday, Dec. 3, the top 9 most played artists were the Eagles, Elton John, James Taylor, the Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Chicago, Neil Diamond, Fleetwood Mac and Paul McCartney. The average age of the song that day was 1974.

The station, whose listeners had been naturally skewing older with its music mix, is chasing after people in their 40s and 50s by adding more 1970s and ’80s music. The hope is to draw more advertisers who prefer younger listeners. Greatest Hits is also targeting a similar audience as that of 97.1/The River (which is dubbed “classic hits” and is all rock) though the sound is much softer and includes R&B and pop on top of rock.

The station will presumably continue to play a deeper playlist. As True Oldies, it would often play more than 1,000 different songs a given week. The River has only about 250 different songs on its playlist.

Here was a typical hour of True Oldies a week ago Nov. 22, before the shift, according to Mediabase 24/7:
4:01 p.m. Beatles “Good Day Sunshine” 1966

4:38 p.m. Cliff Richard “We Don’t Talk Anymore” 1979
4:42 p.m. Dr. Hook “When You’re In Love With a Beautiful Woman” 1979
4:45 p.m. Three Dog Night “One” 1969
4:48 p.m. Elton John “The Bitch is Back” 1974
4:55 p.m. Pilot “Magic” 1975
4:58 p.m. Beatles “Something” 1969

The station has also extended Randy & Spiff to 10 a.m. from 9 a.m. And local jock Kristen Charles takes over the mid-day slot today at 10 a.m. from Scott Shannon, as reported last week.

Join my Facebook fan page and Twitter.

By Rodney Ho, rho@ajc.com, AJCRadioTV blog

kari

November 29th, 2010

Dr. Hook “When You’re In Love With a Beautiful Woman”

kari

November 29th, 2010

Sorry to see Scott go . We enjoyed his inputs.

alan

November 29th, 2010

Let’s see how long this format lasts before another is foisted on us. Scott Shannon was fun to listen to, his knowledge of music will be missed. Older listeners are again f**ked over even if we do have disposable income. If the sponsers don’t want us, why should we buy from these sponsers. BOYCOTT THE SPONSERS AND THE STATION.

Paul

November 29th, 2010

Well, it looks like (a) a button on the car radio is now available and (b) I will be spending more of my commute time with XM-Radio.

Rick

November 29th, 2010

They are just messing up what was a good thing.

Too bad.

DerekLutz

November 29th, 2010

Why is it so hard to understand that if a station could make money and have a large audience playing “oldies” they would do it. If the station is struggling and feels they can grow their audience by doing something differently, they’re going to do that. This format adjustment is what the most successful classic hits stations in the country are all doing or have done years ago.

Good to see “boycott” guy and “satellite radio” guy chime in so quickly. I firmly believe XM/Sirius has an employee who does nothing but look for radio stories online and add an XM comment immediately.

Deke

November 29th, 2010

Finally, Atlanta has an oldies radio station! Oh, wait…

Bob

November 29th, 2010

Playing this 70s crap is what killed Fox. All the drugs that made that stuff sound good are to much trouble to get. Its a good thing most radios come with ipod jacks.

Rodney Ho

November 29th, 2010

Oh duh. Had a Kenny Rogers song “Don’t Fall in Love With a Dreamer” stuck in my brain when I typed that.

joe

November 29th, 2010

my parents will be thrilled…

Bob

November 29th, 2010

I don’t work for XM/Serrius but couldn’t agree more with his comments…I just found this station about 2 weeks ago ( and just last night gave it a button!) and now they’re tweeking it away from what attracted me to it. How long had the previous format been playing? Did they give it enough time to find guys like me? Oh well, back to my previous buttons, like the guy said.

Matt the Brave

November 29th, 2010

Oh boy, another station that plays pretty much nothing but 70s music. Don’t we already have that in The *NEW* River and Rock 100.5?

Tom

November 29th, 2010

In a market the size of Atlanta, one only needs to capture a small percentage to be successful as long as it can convince businesses that those listeners will respond to their ads.

It’s not about how many people listen – it’s about how much money can be made. The 55+ crowd may have money to burn but if a radio station can’t convince businesses that those people will spend money on the advertiser’s products, the station doesn’t make a sale and they don’t make money.

Craig

November 29th, 2010

When I am not listening to Sirus ’70’s I listen to this station. Great stuff for those of us in our 40’s and up.

Jan

November 29th, 2010

From a now-former listener. The TOC format Scott Shannon has created was great, in addition to the more encompassing range of music his knowledge, themed weekends and stories made this a terrific station. I heard him announce the change last week…I can listen to the (same) stuff you’re now playing elsewhere, so let your ad guys know.

Deb

November 29th, 2010

I just wish that the signal was stronger on the west side of Atlanta.
I love the music no matter if its 60’s or 70’s. It is all just plain good and a whole lot better than some of the stuff now!!!!

So do something to get it to pick up better so I can listen to it!!!!

Love the 70's

November 29th, 2010

I think it’s a great idea. They should play some of the fun songs from the AM radio days…”Love Will Keep Us Together”, “Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love”, “Got To Be Real”, etc. instead of just the mellow stuff.

Yeah C'Mon

November 29th, 2010

Bottom line it’s all about money. The sales department claimed they couldn’t sell a station with “oldies” in the title. I will never understand why they let the same guy who ran Fox 97 into the ground run any station in Atlanta, especially with the same format and same jocks that he had at Fox.

Priorities, People!

November 29th, 2010

Great! Now can we FINALLY get Thrashers games broadcast on an FM station??

Atlanta Native

November 29th, 2010

All I can say is good luck with making yourself the same as the “new” the River (I change the station whenever they say new, so no more than 2 songs, ever) and 100.5.

Hannah

November 29th, 2010

I’m only 26, but I grew up listening to the original Fox 97.1 in the car with my parents. I went to the oldies concerts and sang along with EVERY song, from Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis to the Beach Boys, Peter Noone, Mickey Dolenz, and my favorite, Johnny Rivers. My all time favorite music to listen to is the rock and pop from the 50s and 60s.

I was so happy when True Oldies came to Atlanta! I got to hear so many of the great songs I hadn’t heard in years, and I was introduced to some “new” ones I’d never heard before. I also loved listening to Scott Shannon. He had so many stories and tid bits about the artists and the songs.

What happened to the idea of if it’s not broke, don’t fix it? If I wanted to hear the 70s and 80s, I’d listen to The River, Rock 100.5, or B98.5. I chose to listen to True Oldies BECAUSE of the 50s and 60s.

Atlanta Native

November 29th, 2010

Atlanta is one of the lamest broadcast music markets anywhere. Other cities have a “Mix” station that plays upbeat music regardless of genre or decade. There are also singer/songwriter stations in other cities. Never Atlanta. All we do here is take the same stations and DJs and move them around the dial. Lord knows I spend enough time changing the dial because another song by “Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and the Doobie Brothers” is being played for the 1millionth time.

Michael

November 29th, 2010

Only 250 songs means that you can play every song available EVERY DAY, meaning that it can get old very fast! I can see a failure here in just a matter of months! Given that there were over 250 number one hits in the ’70s decade itself, means that a lot of good material is missing! I agree with adding some newer stuff, but tightening the playlist is just stupid! Listener fatigue will rule here! Some suggestions:
1. Twice a week, run a classic Casey Kasem American Top 40 segement, one from the ’70s and one from the ’80s. In Baltimore, one station airs the ’70s on Sunday mornings and another airs the ’80s on Sunday evenings. Lots of great trivia about the songs/artists, and lots of underplayed gems.
2. Add some more R&B/Soul/funk/disco music; this is the unofficial black capital of America!

Tony

November 29th, 2010

I’m off the boat, too. Loved the True Oldies format — especially because of the music mix. Fox 97 died when it went from “Good Times, Great Oldies” to “Good Times, Eight Oldies.” I’m all about keeping it local, but the expansive format of True Oldies was much more in tune to Fox during its heyday. We don’t need another “classic rock” station anymore than we need another country or R&B station. We need an oldies station.

Let’s face it, The River is just Z93 without the personality. And this “Greatest Hits” bunk is the same stuff, different frequency. Glad I’ve got an .mp3 player — because 106.7 just lost a listener and a spot in my presets (Dave FM, welcome back).

Fion

November 29th, 2010

Is this the blogs for losers living in their parent’s basement? I suggest you get a job, find a date and move out of your parent’s basement. After you accomplish this…then you can post on this blog.

Da Mick

November 29th, 2010

I can’t add much more to the commentary of the other displeased listeners above. I thought Jan expressed it perfectly. My only other comment is that there have been two previous “oldies” stations that have failed here in Atlanta with the same two clowns that this station is so excited about in the morning. The thing that made this station a success here WAS Scott Shannon, and his take on bringing back what a DJ was supposed to be — a knowledgeable and educated fan of the music, NOT a cutsy radio personality. 106.7 had a good thing going here, and it honestly improved the quality of my life in many ways. So sorry to see it go. Funny thing was that I already noticed the difference in the programming yesterday and this morning before I read this — lots of repeated songs, and a take on the song selection that was obviously different. When I heard the new mid-day jock being introduced this morning, my heart sank. Scott we’re going to miss you, pal. You brought back some good radio in Atlanta for awhile. Too bad these clowns don’t know a good thing when they see it.

gordonguy1969

November 29th, 2010

All you folks who are upset about this should listen to WBCX, 89.1 tonight at 8pm. There’s a great show they’ve got on called Poets and Troubadours. They play the folk, folk/rock, protest type stuff we like to listen. Familiar songs, but lots of album cuts. And the two guys on the show know their music, too. You can also listen on the web, but I don’t know the link.

jo jo

November 29th, 2010

I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED SCOTT SHANNON AND TOC. IT IS TYPICAL OF COX TO SCREW UP A GOOD THING. SO NOW I SAY GOOD BYE TO 106.7. IT WON’T LAST LONG AS THERE ARE OTHER CHOICES IN THIS FORMAT.

Tom

November 29th, 2010

crap. AND I’M “ONLY” 48!!!!

buh-bye, 106.7….it was fun while it lasted.

Dot Withers

November 29th, 2010

Why can’t you leave things alone?! It was great as it was. I will no longer listen to this station. You’ve ruined it! Sorry Randy and Spiff.

Tom

One silver lining….

As someone who WAS listening online at the office avery day, at least I won’t have to endure hearing that insipid ad for that “work at home’ BS anymore. It played 3-4 times an hour!

Tony

November 29th, 2010

jo jo — I don’t think this is Cox’s foible. Cox has The River, not “Greatest Hits.”

jo jo

November 29th, 2010

TONY, YOU ARE RIGHT, MY BAD.

Deirdre

November 29th, 2010

Music from the ’70’s DOES belong on an oldies station…even music of the 80’s should qualify as old. Y’all just don’t want it to be true! ;-)

DGAD

November 29th, 2010

Oh yes…we can always use more Elton John and Fleetwood Mac…

Arnold

November 29th, 2010

Leave it to Atlanta to screw up a good thing. Randy and Spiff are still the best morning show and Scott is the Oldies. I’m out of here you can have your station.

GA Mom

November 29th, 2010

Now it’s just like every other station in this town……Hello iPod!!!! Goodbye commercial radio……

I just don’t understand, with the plethora of music out there, why does every single station in Atlanta play the same freaking music?????

There are those of us who like the “oldies”. I am so over Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, etc. And is it an Atlanta law that Elton John must be on at least two stations simultaneously?????

I’m done with Atlanta COMMERCIAL radio…….

HRPufnstuf

November 29th, 2010

Bye Randy and Spiff. Hope to hear you some time in the future, on another “real” oldies station that features Scott Shannon and his incredible play list, when some station understands that those of us in our 50s and 60s have the money, and are SPENDING the money. Advertisers, are you listening?

Delmar

November 29th, 2010

Oh yeah…the Poets show on 89.1 is great and I can get it in north Atlanta but I moved so I listen online I googled WBCX to find the link. The show at 8 tonight is great and I like the old, old big band stuff they have on Thursdays.

Richard Bagge

November 29th, 2010

That playlist sounds like one hour in the worst dentist’s office in the universe.

gabeaux

November 29th, 2010

Saying Randy and Spiff have the best morning show is like saying one pile of horse manure is better smelling than the other.

Da Mick

November 29th, 2010

By the way, if you love the music of the True Oldies Station, you should come out and listen to The Rockingbirds play a wide variety of these songs live. They’re a fantastic band, playing and singing these great songs with the authenticity of the original recordings. Check them out on Facebook or Myspace. They’ll be appearing at Dillons Restaurant & Sports Bar, Friday & Saturday, December 10th & 11th. It’s going to be couple of great nights. Don’t miss it!

Andy

November 29th, 2010

Well, that stinks — I’m under the age of 40 and I love the music of the ’60s/’70s….I wish they would play more ‘deep cuts’ and the entire Nuggets box-set on the air. And entire albums too, like The Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds and Love’s Forever Changes. But now it’s Peach 94.9 AGAIN.

Chuck

November 29th, 2010

The radio advertising sales weasels always claim they can’t attract clients with an oldies format. My question is, are jewelry vendors and credit counseling services the only people who advertise on the radio?

Ray

November 29th, 2010

For those who may be interested, I found the web link to that Poets and Troubadours show, http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wbcx/ppr/index.shtml. If you’re fairly close to Gainesville, GA. you can also catch it Monday nights at 8 PM on 89.1 WBCX F.M. They have a good mix of folk, folk-rock and some other really great music from the 60’s on.

Mr. E

November 29th, 2010

Did’ja ever notice that when you see the TV spot for the “NEW” River that the songs they play on the commercial are the same ones you hear over and over and over on the station itself? Most of the time you can set your watch to some of the songs they play day in and day out. Oh, yeah–how many YEARS can the same old thing be on the air and still be called “new”? Semms like they’ve been “new” for about 6 or 7 now.

1911A1

November 29th, 2010

WBCX is one of the area’s best kept secrets. It’s actually the college station for Brenau University. They refer to themselves as “Eclectic 89.1″ and the moniker fits; depending on the day and time, you can find world music, “extreme” oldies (20s-30s), REAL old-school jazz (not the “smooth” crap) and much more.

Kay

November 29th, 2010

Streaming the REAL TOC right now. Scott Shannon is great and his knowledge of music is what makes TOC such a great station. So glad I have the iPod app.

Atlanta’s Greatest Hits? I don’t think so.

Eric

November 29th, 2010

So long. I may be in my 60’s, but I still buy and spend money. Just not from your sponsors (not anymore). Scot Shannon was the best. Good bye Randy and Spiff. Hello Neal. I now have a button to reprogram. I prefer classical to this 70’s stuff.

Michael

November 29th, 2010

But wait, they now have Tripp West and Kristin. It can only be better, right ?