Atlanta fashion designer Mychael Knight, a season three finalist on “Project Runway,” will appear on “Project Runway: All Star Challenge” on Lifetime August 20. It precedes the network debut of the new sixth season of “Runway.”
Daniel Vosovic and Santino Rice of season 2, Jeffrey Sebelia, Uli Herzner and Mychael Knight of season 3, Chris March and Sweet P of season 4 and season 5’s Korto Momolu will compete against each other for a $100,000 prize, a rep for the network confirmed.
That’s pretty good money for a few days’ work but clearly, Lifetime is pulling out all the stops to get those 4 million weekly viewers from Bravo, which lost the show last year. (The debut had been delayed by legal wranglings that were resolved only a few weeks ago.)
The lineup, which is missing folks from season one, includes some of the more interesting characters from past years though not necessarily the most talented.
“It’s going to be a really good show,” Knight said in an interview today. “I’m kind of ready to see it myself. With new producers and a new network, who knows?”
During season three, Knight was not as much of a reality-show drama generator as some of his peers but was popular among viewers. He said the enticement of $100,000 was enough for him to come back.
Knight, who has his own design label and fragrance, said now that he’s an established designer, the show pressures are no longer there. “Three years, I was trying to prove myself. Now I don’t have to.”
He said he had no problem jumping back into a mini-version of “Runway.” “Same script, different cast,” he said. The show itself was taped just a few weeks ago in New York City and reunites all the old judges, plus Tim Gunn.
Even though “Runway” has migrated to Lifetime, Knight thinks fans will have no problem finding the show: “Fans of Janet don’t care if she’s on Arista or Columbia. It doesn’t matter.”
As for his own life, he’s happy: “I’m now able to travel the world, meet cool people. It’s amazing.”