Bravo last week sent me a preview copy of the first episode of season two of “The Real Housewives of Atlanta,” which is set to debut July 30 at 10 p.m.
I won’t give away the store but here are some teasers. If you don’t want to be teased, stop reading now. (Taping starting back in late February and ended around Memorial Day.)
- DeShawn Snow, dropped from the cast for being too dull, has truly disappeared. Even old clips from last season show no sign of her. And there is no mention of her absence either.
- Her replacement, R&B singer/songwriter Kandi Burruss shows up about 15 minutes in, identified as a friend of Lisa Wu Hartwell. Lisa helpfully fills people in on her resume, including the fact she wrote TLC’s huge Grammy-winning hit “No Scrubs” a decade ago. Kandi, who is working on a solo album in her home studio, has a six year old daughter and a fiance — with six kids. It’s too soon to say how her arrival will change the dynamics among the other four, but the producers obviously hope she engages them more than DeShawn did.
- Kim Zolciak during this episode says she’s single and no longer with Big Poppa (the still unnamed married man Lee Najjar.) She again seeks advice from her psychic. The fact she has a psychic says a lot, eh?
- Lisa Wu Hartwell’s business work is not mentioned but let’s say the 38 year old has three of these and is thinking about a fourth. And tension remains between her and Kim over the reunion episode where Lisa accused Kim of spreading false rumors about her e.g. she lost custody of her kids with hubby No. 1 Keith Sweat because she took drugs.
- Sheree Whitfield clashes with a party planner for her “post divorce “independence party.” (Didn’t she have a party like that already last season?) It’s certainly a highlight of hour one. “Whatever happened to customer service?” Sheree said. She also talks about being booted from her $2 million home that her ex husband Bob stopped paying for and had to move into a more modest home, something I wrote about a couple weeks back.
- NeNe Leakes is also in a new (presumably rental) home and there are some amusing scenes between her and gay hairdresser buddy Dwight Eubanks. She and Kim are still estranged after NeNe last year mocked Kim’s country music ambitions behind her back, but both are making attempts to reconcile.