We’re getting slightly mixed message from Herman Cain’s campaign staff on whether the candidate intends to remain in the Republican presidential hunt. From the Associated Press in Atlanta:
Herman Cain’s Iowa campaign chairman [says] that the candidate is reassessing his presidential campaign a day after an Atlanta businesswoman alleged a 13-year extramarital affair with the Republican.
Steve Grubbs says that on a conference call with senior staff early Tuesday, Cain said the allegations have taken an emotional toll on his family but that he’s moving ahead with the campaign.
Still, Grubbs said Cain told his staff he would be reassessing how to move forward given that the allegations have damaged his fundraising.
The Iowa chairman said Cain still planned to deliver a foreign policy speech in Michigan later Tuesday.
On the other hand, Daniel Malloy, the AJC’s man in Washington, just got off the phone with Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon, who sent this note:
Gordon acknowledged that Cain in a staff call this morning used the word “reassess” about the campaign, but said it was not about whether or not he was going to drop out. Similar reassessments took place after the Iowa straw poll and at one point when the campaign was low on money, he said.
“My interpretation of that is that we are looking to assess where we are at today and where we need to be moving into the primary,” Gordon said.
The campaign will rethink what states Cain visits, the types of speeches he gives and what interviews he conducts.
National Review Online was listening in on the five-minute conference call, and has already produced a transcript.
Earlier this morning, Atlanta radio talk show host Neal Boortz, for whom Cain often subbed on AM750 and 95.5FM News/Talk WSB, said that it might be time for Cain to leave the race.
Boortz was touted on Monday as a VIP who would be attending the Saturday opening of Cain’s new Georgia headquarters in DeKalb County.
- By Jim Galloway, Political Insider