Ladies and gentlemen, we have a crisis.
Two weeks ago, the Senate Republicans overthrew Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle and declared that they would be ruled by a Committee on Assignments – Senate President pro tem Tommie Williams, R-Lyons, five GOP caucus officers and two Cagle appointees.
There have been worse names for a power elite, though none come immediately to mind.
Senate Republicans need your help in arriving at something with a little more flash. Jiggy, as the young people used to say – a decade or two ago.
We’ll start with these suggestions – many of which are already floating around the state Capitol. Pick your top three.
More can be added through comments below. If they’re good enough, we’ll add them to the survey.
The nominees are:
– Committee on Assignments: A slow starter, but it is the proper name. Even rebellions find legitimacy to be a handy thing.
– Committee on Public Safety: Just a historical reminder that not all revolutions ended with General Cornwallis’ surrender at Yorktown.
– The Kryptonite Cabal: All lieutenant governors will be asked to check their capes at the door.
– The Crazy Eights: A chance for senators not only to wear blue jeans in the chamber, but leather jackets as well. Biker chicks not permitted.
– Los Ocho: In anticipation of a great deal of Arizona-style legislation after the holidays. Possibly for exclusive use in Mundo Hispanico.
– The Power 6 Plus 2: For an eight-member committee that shares six members’ worth of clout. It has a Dave Brubeck feel.
– Tommie’s Rangers: Simple, direct. We’re talking movie franchise here.
– The Magic Eight Ball: A committee with eight members is likely to rely heavily on phrases like “Reply hazy, try again” or “Better not tell you now.” Alternative: “Eight Is More Than Enough.”
- By Jim Galloway, Political Insider