Democratic nominee for governor Roy Barnes says he won’t return the $5,000 contributed to his campaign by Bishop Eddie Long of New Missionary Baptist Church.
From Lori Geary and Channel 2 Action News:
“The allegations are troubling but there’s not been one deposition taken, not one thing. Let’s let the legal process work,” said Barnes.
Last week Barnes canceled a scheduled fundraiser with Long. Barnes told Geary the decision was mutual.
“I haven’t talked to him. I sent messages back and forth. Of course we knew the press would be there and we didn’t want to take away from our fundraiser. In any regard, we just thought it was appropriate. It was jointly reached by staff,” said Barnes.
Barnes is not the only candidate to receive money from Long. State and federal campaign records show a long list including Michael Thurmond, Hillary Clinton, Thurbert Baker, Mark Taylor, Maxine Waters and Max Cleland.
The $5,000 contribution from Long to Barnes was made on June 28, for the July 20 primary.
Here’s the latest on the Long saga from ajc.com:
espite the personal intervention of Bishop Eddie Long, the DeKalb County district attorney will proceed with a case against two men accused of breaking into Long’s office at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, the chief assistant DA said Monday.
Four young men filed suit against Long and his church last week. One of them, Maurice Robinson, has been charged with the burglary of Long’s office.
Last month, Long visited former District Attorney Gwen Keyes-Fleming and asked her to drop the charges, Chief Assistant District Attorney Don Geary said….
The four lawsuits, which were all filed last week in DeKalb County State Court, all claim Long, in his role as a church leader, coerced the young men into sexual relationships. The suits allege that Long took the men on lavish trips and bought them gifts.