Hey guys I am getting up a new blog topic in just a few minutes but I wanted to show you guys what I’ve been working on this week. Walsh got his cast on Monday (see Facebook for that shot — it is a giant cast) and then I made phone calls for three days to get the right wheelchair for him. The cast is super heavy and hurts when he walks on crutches. He needed a wheelchair with an elevated platform to support the leg. He was too big (almost 10) for the pediatric wheelchair but the adult one is too heavy so we needed a lightweight wheelchair. So that took a bunch of phone calls back and forth with insurance, doctor’s office and two medical supply places to get the right prescription that they would process. But it finally arrived last night. (I want to post a photo of him in the wheelchair but he doesn’t want me to so I won’t.)
I also worked on setting up a bed for him downstairs in the dining room since he can’t climb any stairs. I had to buy a new twin bed frame because he has bunk beds that I could not easily unbunk. And then have wood planks cut to support the matress. Well they were cut to the wrong size so our lovely neighbor re-cut them for me to the right size.
We also learned how to take a shower with a cast. I put a metal chair in the shower and wrapped the leg in a giant garbage bag. I Duct taped it around the thigh and then he used a hand-held shower spray that he could aim away from his leg.
On top of that we had two birthdays this week. You may recall that Michael and Lilina share a birthday so I was trying to get presents, cake and a special meal for their birthdays yesterday.
So sorry no new topic yesterday, and I will get one up soon for today.