We are all greatly looking forward to the start of the Olympic games.
I thought it would be fun to have an Olympic Opening night party with the kids, but I’m not coming up with super great ideas. So I wanted you guys to think on it too.
I immediately thought of fish and chips for dinner to celebrate the Games being in London. (Or you could go All-American with the menu – hamburgers, hotdogs, BBQ. ) And I thought some type of red, white and blue dessert from the Pinterest 4th of July board.
I was thinking little American flags for the kids but what other decorations would make it festive and themed?
Michael thought we should do something with the medals but what? Or with the Olympic rings?
I found some good party ideas on the official “London2012” website. Some theme suggestions were: Around the World, sports, Greek, or Red, White and Blue.
Here were a few ideas from the Around the World theme:
“2. Play a game and get your guests to create their own country
complete with national anthem, flower, bird, capital and
3. Choose a base food and theme it on countries from around the
world. Pizza toppings work well.
4. Wear the colours of the country you’re supporting.
5. Use a flag as a tablecloth.
6. Hang up paper chains and colours in the colours or shape of
your country. Try a boot for Italy or a dog’s head of Australia.”
Here were a few from the Greek theme:
“1. Plait your hair for the ultimate goddess look.
2. Dress your room in white and gold.
3. Show off marigolds – the ancient Greeks believed they would
bring good luck.
4. Greek food makes the perfect finger food! Olives, feta,
halloumi and pitta bread with dips such as houmous and tzatziki.
5. Don a pair of sandals. Leave out the socks!
6. Light a candle to represent your own Olympic Flame.”
It also has ideas for decorations and games to play.
My kids love ancient Greece and mythology so they would probably love that one but I love the idea of making everyone choose a country and do a little research. Then come up with appropriate costumes and they could suggest a dish from their country. (You know I love adding learning into a party.)
What are some other good themes or ideas for food or to decorate? Will you have an opening ceremony Olympics party? Tell us your plan!