Some Associated Press business writers have taken a deep look at the affect of The Great Recession (their words) on our shopping habits. They have produced a three-part series examining how our psyches and habits have changed because of the recession. The writers note that even though The Great Recession has been over for a year and a half and the economy is starting to recover, that shadow of uncertainty still looms and people may have changed their spending habits forever.
Here are a few quick observations from the series:
- Leisure shopping is over.
- People are spending more time finding the deal and less time browsing through stores.
- They are visiting less stores when they go to the mall and spending less time in them.
- People are shopping at stores they never though they would – like Goodwill Stores.
- Consignment sales have grown so tremendously that regular stores are starting to include consignment sections.
“This was a massive cultural