Dads, time is almost up to think of a lovely gift for the hardworking mother of your children. It’s a little more difficult this year because many families can’t afford to pick up the phone and order an expensive bouquet of flowers or pop over to the jewelry store for a little bling. But don’t give up, there are plenty of inexpensive ideas that will make Mom very happy that aren’t a big pain to pull off.
Here are my Top 10 Mother’s Day Gifts in a recession. Many are free and all are easy to come by.
10. Personalized video naming you “Mother of the Year!” -- A friend sent me this video the other day, and I love it! It’s a fictitious news report naming you “Mother of the Year.” A fake anchorwoman interviews people about you, and your name is filled in throughout the video . It is so cute and it really made me feel good. I think I’ll watch it when I’m having a hard day.
9. Flowers — I love flowers, but often florists gouge during major holidays. So head on over to the DeKalb Farmers Market and pick up fresh beautiful flowers at a fraction of the florists’ prices.
8. Kids cleaning the house — No explanation needed. All good, all the way around.
7. A walk with my family – They’ll never take a stroll with me. C’mon gang let’s all go for a walk together with no grumbles or complaints. Hold my hand, take a stroll and look at our lovely neighborhood.
6. Backyard BBQ – I love grilled hot dogs but hate firing up the grill. I want to sit in the back, watch my kids play and have my husband make me some yummy hot dogs. The kids will love this too!
5. Art work from my kids – We’ve all got crayons and markers at home. It’s fun to see year-to-year how their interpretation of you changes. For a while, they always drew me pregnant – even though I wasn’t!
4. Massage from your hubby! – I love, love massages, but they are so expensive. My husband is easily bored by giving massages so it would truly mean something for him to give me a lovely, LONG massage! (Hint, hint honey!)
3. Pedicure – It’s almost summer and my feet look terrible. Plus, in this bad economy I feel bad just stopping off and treating myself.
2. A guilt-free nap! – Free! And Dads, we will be nicer to you if we are well-rested! We might even fool around with you later that night!
1. Quiet time with our own mother – I just want to go to my mom’s house late Sunday afternoon and lay on the couch and watch Lifetime Original Movies with her. Once again, this is free and something I never get to do without my children buzzing around breaking stuff!
I want to see your list too! To share the “Mom of the Year” video link or this story just hit the Share This button at the bottom of the page. You can email it to your friends or post it on your Facebook profile. It’s really easy. I tried it for the first time the other night, and even I could make it work.