Scrimmages have begun, students have moved into dorms and apartments in Athens, classes at UGA begin on Monday and we’ve got 22 days and change until kickoff of Georgia’s 2009 football season. I’d say it’s a great time of year to be a Dawgs fan, but then that’s the case any time of year. And in celebration of that fact, here’s the conclusion of our list of 101 reasons why it’s great … to be … a Georgia Bulldog!
81. Reggie Ball wore a Tech uniform.
82. “Going back to Athens town.”
83. The annual performance by the Redcoat Alumni Band.
84. As the late, great Athens Daily News once put it: “Oh, Hot Diggity Dog, Mr. Dooley, You Have Wrecked Ole Tech Again!”
85. Scott Woerner.
86. Being a part of the luckiest 92,746 folks around on a fall Saturday.
88. Clisby Clark’s “Bulldog Bite.”
89. Bill Stanfill introducing himself to Steve Spurrier at the Gator Bowl.
90. “One and done, baby!”
91. “Between the hoses” at Auburn in 1986.
92. Dooley’s shaved head in 1976.
93. There’s only one “hobnail boot,” and everyone knows who wore it!
94. Great names: “Catfish” Smith, Jiggy Smaha, Happy Dicks, Buzy Rosenberg, Bucky Dilts, Hiawatha Berry, Wycliffe Lovelace.
95. “God is a Bulldog,” as Bulldog legend Dorsey Hill famously noted to Lewis Grizzard when UGA moved to No. 1 in 1980 with the help of a Georgia Tech tie with Notre Dame.
96. Theron Sapp, the Drought-Breaker.
97. Terry Hoage.
98. The Diamond Dogs’ College World Series championship trophy (you won’t find one in Atlanta).
99. Mark Richt.
100. Four-plus decades of Larry Munson.
101. The solo trumpeter in the southwest upper deck.
Special thanks to Steve, Owen, Len, Johnny, Olivia and Van.