Even if Georgia ends up with a tailback-by-committee approach this season, odds are that two backs primarily will carry the load.
Most observers think Caleb King will be one of them, despite the fact he hasn’t been able to get a firm grip on the starting job. Richard Samuel, who had slipped so far under the radar that folks were wondering if he’d switch to linebacker, turned a lot of heads with his performance in Wednesday’s scrimmage. Carlton Thomas continues to impress, though because of his size a lot of observers see him as the third or change-of-pace back. And then there’s the heralded true freshman, Washaun Ealey, who still has a lot to learn.
Mark Richt said they probably will “re-rack” the depth chart after Wedesday’s scrimmage but indicates we shouldn’t put too much emphasis right now on who’s ranked where. “I don’t particularly care who’s No. 1 today or tomorrow,” Richt said. “I’m looking for guys who are ready to play. I’m not even looking for starters. I’m looking for guys that if we put them in the game, they can function and play winning football. That’s really and truly all I’m concerned about right now.”
Buck Belue says Georgia will need at least two good tailbacks this season and he seems to think it will be King and Samuel. “A combination of Samuel and King is the best cast scenario,” he says. ”Last season, the RB position got 338 carries. Knowshon got 73 percent of those totes. Richard and Caleb split the other 27 percent of the carries. So, a first round talent maxed out with 73 percent of the load. Got to figure Samuel might be 50-60 percent if [his showing in the scrimmage] keeps up and Caleb gets in there enough to grad 30-40 percent of the load. There are plenty of carries to go around.”
Share your thoughts in the comments, vote in the poll, or do both.