The fact the New York Giants and New England Patriots will meet in the Super Bowl has one obvious bright side for the rest of the sports world: In two weeks, either New York or Boston sports fans are going to be miserable.
Giants vs. Patriots. Really? We have to pick?
Is there a sentimental favorite here?
OK, here’s my list of factors. And there’s a poll to the left and space below for you to weigh in on your choice.
• Fans: New York is tied for having the most obnoxious pro sports fans in the nation. It is tied with Boston. But for some reason when Boston teams go down, it’s just funnier. I mean, not that the Red Sox going down in flames last season made up for the Braves doing the same. But it was close. Likeability edge: Giants.
• Falcons’ postseason nightmares: Last season, the Falcons and Patriots each were No. 1 seeds and got bounced in their first playoff game. Arthur Blank and Robert Kraft commiserated over a bowl of soup. This year, the Falcons were pounded by New York in the first round. The Patriots figured out their problems and won. More soup for Arthur — this time alone. Likability edge: Patriots.
• Celebrity element: Actresses Kate and Rooney Mara are in the family tree of the Mara family, longtime owners of the New York Giants. Patriots owner Bob Kraft has four sons. Big time likability edge: Giants.
• Coaches: Tom Coughlin isn’t Mr. Cuddles. But the guy has t0 meet with the New York media every day, which would drive anybody crazy, and I think he has been fired like 57 times in the tabloids. Bill Belichick never has been on the verge of being fired. The dark side of The Force is more powerful than you can imagine, Luke. Likeability edge: Giants.
• Cinematography: Belichick’s camera angles are superior to any other coaches. Finding the camera is the problem. Likability edge: Giants.
• Quarterbacks: Eli Manning isn’t supposed to be as good as his older brother, Peyton. but he may be on the verge of passing him in Super Bowl wins. Eli also just seems like a good guy. Tom Brady has won more Super Bowls (three) than both Manning brothers together. But he also left his pregnant girlfriend (Bridget Moynahan) for a super model (Gisele Bundchen). You lose serious good-guy points for that, no matter what Gisele looks like. Likeability edge: Giants.
• History: The Giants are 3-1 in Super Bowls. They seem to know how to win these things. The Patriots are 3-3 in Super Bowls, having lost to the Giants four years ago after going 18-0 (regular season and playoffs). That was kind of funny. Worth seeing again? Likeability edge: Giants.
By my criteria, it’s overwhelming. Do you have a pick? Or do you hate both?
The cyber floor is yours.
By Jeff Schultz