Atlanta Symphony Orchestra 2010-2011 classical and some not-so-classical shows: Ringo Starr, Alan Jackson, Sugarland, Boyz II Men, Ben Harper, more to come
Here's the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park in 2008 -- the orchestra announced its 2010-2011 season yesterday, including its summer concerts. AJC file photo
The annoucements are coming fast these past few days: Alliance, Chastain Park and yesterday, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. (Broadway Across America at the Fox Theatre tickets go on sale today, too.)
As Pierre Ruhe pointed out in a round-up for the AJC, here’s some of the news in the 2010-2011 season:
- There are two world premieres next season, including a 20-minute work by Alvin Singleton, a one-time ASO composer-in-residence, and James Oliverio’s Double Timpani Concerto for the Brothers Yancich.
- The classical series is gone from Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, the ASO’s summer home. They will play rock concerts, community events and there will be pops and family concerts.
- Symphony highlights include Puccini’s complete opera, “Madama Butterfly,” in a staged performance and the arrival of new concertmaster David Coucheron.
They also announced a few of their not-so-classical concerts, although there are still more announcements to come:
- On July 10, Ringo Starr will play Chastain Park Amphitheatre; Boyz II Men performs July 30. More of the Chastain concerts will be announced in the next few weeks.
- More ASO Presents concerts at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park will include Alan Jackson on April 10; a Good Friday event on April 2 with Louie Giglio, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Christy Nockels and Kristian Stanfill; 92.9 dave-fm’s Earth Day Birthday will include Ben Harper and Relentless7, Guster and Alberta Cross on April 25; Project 9-6-1 Cinco Party with Three Days Grace, Seether and Chevelle on May 5; Sugarland on Aug. 5.
Want to go? Atlanta Symphony Orchestra subscriptions are on sale now. Individual tickets go on sale mid-August. www.atlantasymphony.org, 404-733-4900.
For instant updates, follow @insideaccess on Twitter.