Seeking suggestions for snow day fun in metro Atlanta
The snow and ice have arrived. Here’s an updated list of school closings around Atlanta
and our latest news updates
throughout the day. Check back for more closings and delays involving fun stuff to do around Atlanta, and to share your ideas and news in the comments!
- Tonight’s performance of “A Sordid Affair” at 14th Street Playhouse is canceled.
- Decatur Metro blog reports that Decatur’s Jan. 9 Run With the Dogs 5K is postponed till Jan. 16. Read more.
- The Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory University is closed today.
- The Atlanta History Center is closed today.
- Woodruff Arts Center — Alliance Theatre, Atlanta Symphony and High Museum — closed today.
- UPDATED: Imagine It! The Children’s Museum of Atlanta is closed today.
- Zoo Atlanta will be closed Friday.
Jeff Crawford, of McDonough, played basketball with his sons, Jeff Jr. and Justin during a snow day in 2009. Crawford took the day off work because his kids were out of school. AJC file photo
This forecast to change, but it looks right now like snow will cover Atlanta with an inch or two late this week. It’s cute at Stone Mountain Park — far less charming on the road.
At least we can prepare by coming up with a plan for what to do with the kiddos when school is canceled. Some will get an early version of Take Your Daughter To Work Day. I’m betting on a lot of busy grandmas, booked baby-sitters and rule bending — yes, honey, you can play with the Wii for an extra hour today. Actually, would six hours be OK?
And for those that feel comfortable on the roads, maybe that will mean busy days at recreation centers, Imagine It! The Children’s Museum of Atlanta or the Georgia Aquarium? With real snow, this could be the best day to head to Snow Mountain.
So what’s your plan? Your advice? What do you do to keep the family safe and entertained during a (kind of) unexpected day off school?
For instant updates, follow @insideaccess on Twitter.