Ten months after a deadly walkway collapse at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, construction of the 600-foot Canopy Walk is set to resume in October.
The “treewalk” is a winding, 40-foot high walkway designed to take visitors on a canopy-level walk through the Garden’s Storza Woods. It’s set to open in May, 2010. It’s part of a $55 million Green Expansion that has already opened a new visitor center, green roof, parking facility, pedestrian path and additional garden. An edible garden and “cascade” garden are to open in 2010, along with the walkway.
The walkway is touted by Mary Pat Matheson, the Garden’s executive director, as a “must-see destination for both gardeners and those who simply want to experience nature in the middle of the city.” The project has been on hold since last year, when the walkway collapsed, dropping workers dozens of feet. One man, Angel Chupin, 66, of Marietta, was killed. Eighteen others were injured, and doctors said it was a near-miracle that none were paralyzed. Here are aerial photos from the walkway collapse.
Hardin Construction Company of Atlanta, Williams Erection Company of Smyrna and Southeast Access of Kennesaw were fined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration for their role in the collapse. The AJC reported this summer that the companies appealed those fines.
Still, the Botanical Garden is pushing forward with the project.
A press release from the Atlanta Botanical Garden this week said garden visitors will notice three phases of the walkway’s construction:
Want to go? The Atlanta Botanical Garden is open Tuesday-Sunday with seasonal hours. $12-15, free for members and children younger than 3. 1345 Piedmont Ave. N.E., Atlanta. 404-876-5859, www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org.
For instant updates, follow @insideaccess on Twitter.