Thrashers TV Schedule Announced

I just recieved word that the Thrashers TV schedule has been released. There are 61 of the 82 games that will be televised locally.

Here it is:

Tues. Apr. 6 NEW JERSEY 7 p.m. – SPSO
Fri. Apr. 9 @ Washington 7 p.m. – SPSO
Sat. Apr. 10 PITTSBURGH 7 p.m. – SPSO

SPSO – Sports South

FSSO – Fox Sporth South

Upcoming Viewing Parties At TJ’s

While we’re on the topic of the schedule…and now that we know which games will/won’t be aired locally…Mark Ecclestone and I have discussed some dates for Thrashers Viewing Parties. Here is what we’ve come up with:

Saturday Oct. 10 – It’s a Saturday night game in the midst of the 19-day gap between the first home game of the season and the second. Perfect for a viewing party date.

Saturday Oct. 17 – This one was already worked out with the Atlanta Thrashers Fan Club. Turns out it’s a perfect time to do so for the same reasons given for the week prior.

Saturday Oct. 24 – This is the Party Bus date for the San Jose Sharks game. If you haven’t procured your tickets yet, there are still some seats available…see here for details.

Saturday Nov. 7 – The Thrashers will get their first look at first overall draft selection John Taveres and the New York Islanders.

Wednesday Nov. 25 – If you’re not travelling for the Thanksgiving holiday, come join us as the Thrashers mosey up to Motown to take on the Red Wings.

Saturday Jan. 30 – The Fan Club will be heading up the road to infest Nashville with Thrashervillians…but if you aren’t able to make the trip, Mark and Tim will have the game, which isn’t aired locally, on the big screen.

Saturday Feb. 13 – Once again, we’ll join forces with the Fan Club to pack the place with rowdie Thrashers fans as the home team heads to the Windy City for a date with the Blackhawks. It’ll be the last game prior to the Olymipc break.

Sunday Mar. 21 – A Sunday night engagement with the Flyers. Think maybe we can beat them once this year?

Friday Apr. 9 – The last road game of the year and the destination will be Washington D.C. to take on Ovechkin and company.

Also, we are keeping in mind the day after Christmas and New Year…they are both Saturday night games being played in Tampa Bay and Long Island respectively. Your input there will be helpful as the time draws near.

And if you know of any other viewing party venues that will happen during the season, please let me know and I’ll help spred the word for you.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe Labor Day weekend.

Buzilla in CT

Buzilla in CT

Buzilla in CT

bronze…I win

Bob

Nikita

September 4th, 2009

Thank God for Center Ice.

World Be Free

Can’t wait!

Archie

September 4th, 2009

Smart that they get all the non-televised games out of the way during football season when most people won’t be watching anyway.

Buzilla in CT

September 4th, 2009

Center Ice better get in HD this year. Is SPSO is HD yet?

Tony C.

SPSO is in HD on cable carriers. IDK about dish & directv

Rawhide

September 4th, 2009

I agree it’s better to get the non-televised games outa the way early…that way the games will be on the air when it really matters, during a playoff run

knocking wood

Also, I just got off the phone with our friends at TJ’s and have listed Viewing Party dates in the post above. Check it out and I hope to see ya’ll there.

Buzilla in CT

September 4th, 2009

When is Zherdev getting here?

LSThrasher04

Any word on HD?

There’s no excuse not to have it for every game this year.

LSThrasher04

Buzilla-
Center Ice has been in HD on Directv for a couple of years.

SPSO is also carried in HD on Directv, they just don’t produce much programming in it.

Russian

September 4th, 2009

Zherdev will come back to USA at September 12. He told to Russian news.

Foosball

September 4th, 2009

Atlanta has a hockey team?

kracker

September 4th, 2009

Here’s an interesting read from The Hockey News: Put it on the board, Yes!

I didn’t know they did that. It seems no matter what the sport, the rookies gotta pay their dues!

Here’s another one from the Sporting News: NHL countdown: No. 27 Atlanta Thrashers

The SN countdown number seems to say the Thrashers are ranked at No. 27 but the article has us improved and possibly contending for a playoff spot. Those two rankings don’t match. If you’re in the bottom five of the league the only thing you are contending for is the first draft pick.

Jennifer

September 4th, 2009

I noticed that all four games against Montreal are not televised locally. That means that, if you have Center Ice, the games will be in French. C’est la vie!

Scotty

September 4th, 2009

Dang Rawhide, you’re on the front page again. Hope you got a raise too.

Jimmy

September 4th, 2009

Do the Thrashers ever put together fan club outings to away games? I think a trip to Montreal or Toronto would be a lot of fun. And having spent time in those cities but having never attended a game they seem like the kind of places where fans of the visiting team might want to have strength in numbers. Especially in Montreal…

Rawhide

September 4th, 2009

Jimmy – Indeed the Fan Club will be organizing road trips to both Nashville and Carolina this season. Here is a link to there site…they’ll be more than happy to hook ya up if your interested.

As for Montreal and Toronto, I’ve heard rumblings about some wishing to organize roadies to those cities, I think maybe on the Nasty Nest site, but I’m not 100% sure.

Scotty – I wish!

ben

September 4th, 2009

are they on versus at all

R. Stroz

September 4th, 2009

Buzilla cheated…he got all the medals.

J.B.

September 4th, 2009

Russian – Did Zherdev say why he was coming back to the US on the 12th? Was there any other good information in the russian news article? I haven’t seen any quotes from him since he said he was interested in Atlanta a few days ago…

J.B.

September 4th, 2009

Incidentally, if y’all are interested, here’s another interview with Ilya. He doesn’t discuss, nor is he asked, about the Thrashers at all. But one thing I liked was that he tells the interviewer why he signs so many autographs; his answer is very cool.

It’s hard to find something not to like about Kovalchuk… of course if he goes all UFA on us and pulls a Hossa, then I’ll retract that statment, but I’m confident and hopefull he’ll stay a Thrasher.

World Be Free

September 4th, 2009

Foosball-you are not the first idiot to come on this blog and ask it Atlanta has a hockey team. But you are an idiot.

Buzilla in CT

September 4th, 2009

Don’t get me started on Direct TV…

I wanted it so bad but alas I have a tree in the way. Who would have thought that in CT? Anyway, I have to use comcast’s center ice package and it better be in HD…or I will watch in normal D

R. Stroz

September 4th, 2009

GaVaHokie won a contest on hockeybuzz.

j nes

September 4th, 2009

sportssouth had an HD channel last year, yet no Thrashers game were televised in HD on that channel. If hockey is going to grow at all in the south, it will need the benefit of high definition. My wife wont even watch in standard def. because she cant see the puck. I think most casual fans and non-fans would have the same complaint.
Get it right this year sportssouth!

Buzilla in CT

September 4th, 2009

I didn’t cheat. I was creative

GaVaHokie

September 4th, 2009

GaVaHokie won a contest on hockeybuzz.

It’s some kind of major award… it says frah-gee-lay… must be italian. :)

lee

September 4th, 2009

buzilla in CT-um, it looks like zherdev isn’t comin’. we don’t really need him now. he’s welcome, but he’s not my top priority.

im so pumped for the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An Old Flame

September 4th, 2009

According to the New York Post the Rangers are playing hardball with Brandon Dubinski, a Tier II restricted free agent, and offering only $522 K for the next season.

Am I missing something here? Can offer sheets go to T2-RFAs?

If so,…I think he’d be a good fit here. At 6-1, 205 lbs, and 23 yrs old, should the Thrashers consider going after this gritty center?

Sara

September 4th, 2009

Kracker – awesome link, thanks. I remember a story from the play-offs I think. Penguins were getting their butts kicked in a game and Malkin walked up to the board and put $1,000 on it … then went out and scored the GWG. One more little reason why Malkin > Crosby. ;)

Sara

September 4th, 2009

As for that other article – the season preview … all I have to say is that tag-line under the photo is brutal.

StateBird

September 4th, 2009

Did anybody notice that JP Dellacamera is out as tv play-by-play announcer? To be replaced by Matt McConnell. A major downgrade in my opinion.

Does anybody if JP is going to another hockey team or just spending more time on soccer?

Also an interesting development … Directv removed Versus from their channel listing this week, claiming that Comcast, who owns Versus, is demanding unreasonable fees. So for those on Directv, like me, we will likely loose Versus’ NHL package. If not settled this would be terrible for the NHL, limiting their exposure, and especially their playoff exposure even more.

On the upside Directv does carry all available HD broadcasts on both SportSouth and the Center Ice package. Something that Comcast has not done in the past.

Glovesave29

September 4th, 2009

I cannot imagine that there are tickets available for Toronto or Montreal…especially in bulk. Probably better off going to Nashville and Carolina – although a game in Miami with the afternoon spent drinking on Duvall Street in Key West doesn’t sound too terrible.

ben

September 4th, 2009

JP was not good at doing hockey i liked matt

LAC

statebird…. NO MAJOR UPGRADE !!! J.P. was TERRIBLE, no emotion,
and his goal calls were the worst in the NHL, except for that Buffalo loudmouth. I hate his “and a goal” call, how BAD was that ?

Matt does a good job and his flow is much more on an even keel, easy to listen to and far better than JP ever was, Good Move by Thrashers for a change !

Sara

September 4th, 2009

Wasn’t the Thrashers’ move…JP is leaving to focus on soccer.

Smoothie

September 4th, 2009

Sara, I would not be surprised if JP was STRONGLY encoiuraged to pursue soccer full-time. A blessing nonetheless as he was brutal. JP has no clue on how to call a hockey game and would rather ask Darren stupid questions. While Matt can be a bit loud and silly sometimes, at least he can keep up with the flow of the game and actually identify who passed the puck to whom. He knows the game so that in itself is better than JP.

Hockey Biltong

September 4th, 2009

Fox and SS are very cheap. They will not pay for an HD truck even with the away feed getting one.

LAC

September 5th, 2009

Hey Bill, Are the Prospect Games from Michigan going to be on any network ? Checked the NHL Network upcoming schedule and find nothing on any prospects games, Do YOU have any info concerning if they will or will not be on TV. Thanks !!!!!

Rawhide

September 5th, 2009

LAC – It’s my understaning that NHL Network, nor any other, will not be airing the Traveres City games this year. Very disappointing.

lee

September 5th, 2009

hey, any national games this year!??

World Be Free

September 5th, 2009

Old Flame-you wonder what the Rangers are thinking with Dubinsky. I thought Glen Sather was supposed to be some kinda genious? He must have left his genious hat in Edmonton.

Now I am wondering why nobody has not hit Duby with an offer sheet.

GaVaHokie

September 5th, 2009

I’m not a big fan of Dubinsky personally… just another talented player who can’t finish a shot.

But I do find it odd that they won’t give him up for a Heatley trade (which is assinine), and then they’re screwing the guy with a league minimum offer. I’ve also heard mention that they consider him future captain material.

LAC

September 5th, 2009

Thanks Bill, Yes disappointing for sure. Getting REAL TIRED of only having reruns of the 2009 playoffs, who care over and done with.

World Be Free

September 5th, 2009

LAC-I wonder why NHL Network is not breaking out some real old, vintage stuff, unless they have rights issues. I’d like to see some 80’s and early 90’s playoff games. Even a game with alotta fights would be a good break.

GaVa-I think Dubinsky is a good, not great player. I like his intangibles. Like you, I don’t know why the Rangers are screwing with him. Wonder if Darcy Regier and Glen Sather secretly changed jobs.

ranallo10 (in AT)

September 5th, 2009

TSN has Atlanta at 26th (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290041) in their power rankings.

LAC

September 5th, 2009

WBF, there have been a few “old” vintage games, even a few from the 70’s and one from the 60’s.

They had a Philadel[hia video a few weeks back, where Some Flyers player,I can’t rememember just who, said they could bully most NHL teams, but one team, always played tough against them and his comment was, “They NEVER back down and are tough as hell”, he was speaking about Our Atlanta Flames and how they hated playing at The OMNI !

I just wish the Thrashers were as TOUGH as the Flames were, but then The Flames had a MASTER GM in Cliff Fletcher, The Thrashers have a
wannabe GM who knows nothing about running an NHL team, look at the record between Fletcher and Career Loser DUMB don waddell, what an idiot… Gee and Cliffs son could have been here…

ranallo10 (in AT)

September 5th, 2009

I’m guessing we can look at Derrick Brassard’s newest contract (4 years/$13M — $3.25M cap hit) as the starting point for Little’s upcoming RFA offer. I hope for nothing less than four years on Little’s next contract.

ranallo10 (in AT)

September 5th, 2009

Excuse me, it’s Derik Brassard.

ranallo10 (in AT)

September 5th, 2009

Ouch…Derrick, Derik, Derick. I hope he forgives me.

Brendan

September 5th, 2009

Okay, so I’ve been watching all these ads for Center Ice on the NHL Network today, saying … “Call your cable company NOW for the ‘early bird’ special.” So, I picked up the phone … dialed Comcast … and found out … they’re not offering it yet. They said to try back in two weeks. Oh well. They didn’t have a price for it, either. Stay tuned.

I know I’m a fool to dream, but I’d offer Bryan Little 8-years/$32 million, and hope he takes it. It’s way over paying now, but it’s way underpaying him for several UFA years, later on. If the cap can grow from $39 million to $56.8 million in five years, imagine what the cap might look like in 2018? If Little accepted that deal, and he put up 30-40 goals a season, on average, over those eight years, he’d be on the annual “best deals” list. And if he’s bust, which is unlikely, it still sent the right message about player retention, especially of original Thrasher draft picks. And if it takes giving him a NTC to achieve that price, so be it. If things go badly here, Little might want out, anyway, and waive the NTC.

World Be Free

September 6th, 2009

Ranallo-thinking like you. Columbus locked up their star this summer (Nash) and their future (Brassard). Think the Thrash need to do the same with Kovy and Little.

LAC-as a Sabres fan in the 70’s, I always hated to play the Flames. Atlanta had a great team in the 70’s, top to bottom, always tough. The only Sabre that thrived on Atlanta was Gilbert Perreault, he always played well in ATL. We scored a goal against Noel Price and Danny
Bouchard in the mid 70’s that was one of the greatest I ever have seen in 40+ years. He move around Picard like he was standing still. Boom Boom said he didn’t want to see the replay, he’d seen enough.

The Flames don’t get enough ink on this blog. Hilly Graves, Rey Comeau, Danny Bouchard and a host of others were a great team. I wish we talked about them more.

BT-another subject for you, though it seems the Flames are a taboo subject for this blog. Old time hockey.

Tony C.

September 6th, 2009

WBF- thts where you’re wrong…. Mr.T has had more than one ATL Flames-themed blog…and our “Rawhide Rowdies” group outing is leaving from TJ’s in Roswell….owned and operated by former Flame Tim Eccelstone… in fact, I think that any move from Le Thrash to include Flames/ATL hockey history in the coming months will have Rawhide’s Flames nostalgia as the starting-point

World Be Free

September 6th, 2009

Tony C.-there are some reference to the old Flames, but not enough in my opinion. I would also like to see the Thrashers embrace the Atlanta Flame history a little more.

ben

September 6th, 2009

Brendan, I feel our cap numbers will go up because #1 they are, and #2 they’ll more than likely sell the team which I believe was what you had sussed out anyway. I feel they’ll keep it to a local set of buyers. Also, I was wondering where Comcast put my NHL network. Now I know.

Tom

September 6th, 2009

No more Versus on Directv???

Looks like Comcast and Versus are in a pissing match. I hope that they get it figured out by the playoffs. Otherwise thank God for Center Ice!

GaVaHokie

September 6th, 2009

Yeah, total BS… there’s no way Toronto is better than Tampa and Atlanta in my book. How can a completely retooled Leafs team, with no scoring threat and questionable goaltending be ranked higher than Atlanta and Tampa?

… Canadian bias, that’s how.

Brendan

September 6th, 2009

By my best guess, Atlanta will finish 23rd in the NHL this season. I have them 10th in the Conference. I have Atlanta at #23, Florida at #24, Tampa Bay at #25, Toronto at #26, Colorado at #27, Phoenix at #28, NY Islanders at #29, and Ottawa at #30.

Bear in mind, rosters aren’t set. Things could change. What if Ottawa does move Heatley for a good return? What if the Thrashers do add Zherdev? Or trade for a defenseman? These rankings should come out in October.

Here’s how I see the Top 16 teams. #16 Buffalo, #15 Columbus, #14, NY Rangers, #13 Montreal, #12 St. Louis, #11 Philadelphia, #10 Calgary, #09 New Jersey, #08 Vancouver, #07 Chicago, #06 Washington, #05 Carolina, #04 Boston, #03 San Jose, #02 Detroit, and #01 Pittsburgh.

The bubble race is going to be great in both Conference this year. Look at the West for position #8. Edmonton, Los Angeles, Nashville, Anaheim, and Columbus could all well be duking it out for those 7th and 8th seeds. In the East, it should be quite a battle between Buffalo, the NY Rangers, Atlanta, Montreal and Florida for the 7th and 8th spots. Do the Rangers have just enough, with Tortorella behind the bench, to make it to the playoffs for the fifth (5th) straight year? Before the lockout, the Rangers missed the playoffs for seven straight years. Could Buffalo, with healthy players, and assuming they do re-sign Drew Stafford, make it back? They got tougher when they reacquired Mike Grier as a grinder. Montreal’s offseason smacked of “desperation.” With all those new faces gel? Will Bob Gainey survive the year as GM? They spent a lot of money … and they expect BIG results. Two years ago, they were the #1 seed. Last year, the Habs barely qualified for the playoffs at #8, and got swept by one of their arch rivals, the Boston Bruins. Gainey has to be feeling the heat. What about the Florida Panthers, sans Bouwmeester? They just barely missed the playoffs, on a tie-breaker with Montreal. Will they move into the playoff field, or slip back to their more traditional spot outside of the playoffs? How much BETTER is Tampa Bay? We’ll just have to wait and see.

In the West, I’m very interested in the race between Calgary and Vancouver. Calgary has a new Coach. Vancouver’s GM, Mike Gillis, replaced David Nonis for the purposes of advancing the Canucks into the CF. In Game Six, in Chicago, the Canucks gave up seven (7) goals in a game in which their very existence was on the line. That’s too many goals in an essential game. They lost. Chicago moved on to face Detroit in CF. The Flames have Bouwmeester this year. Will that be the difference? Minnesota has a new GM and new Coach. I applaud their gumption in moving their franchise forward. I wish the Wild every success, as one of my two adopted Western Conference teams this year. The other, is the Los Angeles Kings. Call me crazy, but I think Kings have a shot at that #8 seed. There’s a fantastic young corps of players. Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, Anze Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Bernier in net, potentially. Maybe even young Brayden Schenn?? Who knows? The Kings have paid their dues, with a slow build. I hope they make it in. For once, the Kings might be BUYERS at the trade deadline. Imagine that!

Brendan

September 6th, 2009

Ben, your NHL Network should be on channel #296. The Center Ice Channels should be 771-784, once they become available. No word on Hi-Def or not. They don’t even have the pricing info available. Anyone have Charter Cable? If so, do they have Center Ice and pricing data available yet?

John

September 6th, 2009

Just in case you would like to see how a real local newspaper covers their hockey team: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/capitals/index.html?nid=roll_capitals

Sara

September 6th, 2009

Brendan re: Charter – not yet.

R. Stroz

September 6th, 2009

John – I’m more concerned with having “real owners” running the team correctly than a real newspaper covering the team.

Brendan

^5, directed at R.Stroz.

Thanks for the scoop on Charter, Sara.

World Be Free

September 6th, 2009

GaVa-like I have said before, NOBODY in Canada will have anything good to say about the Thrashers or the city of Atlanta-period.

Went the Braves game today; I still do not know how Terry Pendleton still has his job. Braves are like Billy Ray Cyrus-both 1 hit wonders.

Nice breakdown Brendan-you know more that than some of the guys in the business that are paid to know.