The New Schedule’s Here! The New Schedule’s Here!

The new schedule’s here! The new schedule’s here! This is exactly what we needed…the schedule in print! That really makes things for the team! Things are going to start happening for us now!

That’s right folks…the 2009-10 Thrashers regular season schedule will finally be out this afternoon finally and we can start planning our activities between October and April…who knows, maybe even beyond that.

However…I already have a few highlights to share with you…

Saturday October 3: Opening night for the season will be at home against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Saturday October 24: The San Jose Sharks, my adopted west coast team, will be in town.

Sunday November 8: At 5:00 afternoon start when the St. Louis Blues come to town.

Sunday November 15:Another afternoon game for the Edmonton Oilers.

Saturday Novemeber 21: The Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins bring their act to Thrasherville…we also close the season at home against the Penguins on April 10.

Wednesday Novemeber 25: The night before Thanksgiving will see the Thrashers in Detroit to play the Red Wings.

Thursday December 3:We get our first look at top overall draft selection John Tavares as he and the New York Islanders play in Atlanta.

Thursday December 17: the Dallas Stars pay Thrasherville a visit.

:!: Update 7/6 3:10 pm: The entire schedule has now been released. Here is the linky-linkage.

And here is the schedule…

Sat. Oct. 3 TAMPA BAY 7 p.m.
Thurs. Oct. 8 @ St. Louis 8 p.m.
Sat. Oct. 10 @ Ottawa 7 p.m.
Fri. Oct. 16 @ New Jersey 7 p.m.
Sat. Oct. 17 @ Buffalo 7 p.m.
Tues. Oct. 20 @ Montreal 7:30 p.m.
Thurs. Oct. 22 WASHINGTON 7 p.m.
Sat. Oct. 24 SAN JOSE 7 p.m.
Thurs. Oct. 29 WASHINGTON 7 p.m
Sat. Oct. 31 @ Ottawa 2 p.m.
Tues. Nov. 3 @ Montreal 7:30 p.m.
Thurs. Nov. 5 COLUMBUS 7 p.m.
Sat. Nov. 7 @ NY Islanders 7 p.m.
Sun. Nov. 8 ST. LOUIS 5 p.m.
Thurs. Nov. 12 @ NY Rangers 7 p.m.
Fri. Nov. 13 LOS ANGELES 7:30 p.m.
Sun. Nov. 15 EDMONTON 2 p.m.
Thurs. Nov. 19 BOSTON 7 p.m.
Sat. Nov. 21 PITTSBURGH 7 p.m.
Sun. Nov. 22 TAMPA BAY 5 p.m.
Wed. Nov. 25 @ Detroit 7:30 p.m.
Fri. Nov. 27 @ Carolina 7 p.m.
Sat. Nov. 28 PHILADELPHIA 7 p.m.
Mon. Nov. 30 FLORIDA 7 p.m.
Thurs. Dec. 3 NY ISLANDERS 7 p.m.
Sat. Dec. 5 @ Florida 7 p.m.
Mon. Dec. 7 @ Toronto 7 p.m.
Wed. Dec. 9 @ Calgary 9:30 p.m.
Thurs. Dec. 10 @ Vancouver 10 p.m.
Sat. Dec. 12 MONTREAL 7 p.m.
Mon. Dec. 14 @ NY Rangers 7 p.m.
Wed. Dec. 16 @ Florida 7:30 p.m.
Thurs. Dec. 17 DALLAS 7 p.m.
Sat. Dec. 19 NEW JERSEY 7 p.m.
Mon. Dec. 21 MONTREAL 7 p.m.

Wed. Dec. 23 @ Boston 7 p.m.
Sat. Dec. 26 @ Tampa Bay 7:30 p.m.
Mon. Dec. 28 @ New Jersey 7 p.m.
Wed. Dec. 30 @ Boston 7 p.m.
Fri. Jan. 1 @ Buffalo 7 p.m.
Sat. Jan. 2 @ NY Islanders 7 p.m.
Tues. Jan. 5 @ Pittsburgh 7:30 p.m.
Thurs. Jan. 7 NY RANGERS 7 p.m.
Sat. Jan. 9 WASHINGTON 7 p.m.
Tues. Jan. 12 OTTAWA 7 p.m.

Thurs. Jan. 14 BUFFALO 7 p.m.
Sat. Jan. 16 @ Carolina 8 p.m.
Mon. Jan. 18 @ Florida 7:30 p.m.
Tues. Jan. 19 TORONTO 7 p.m.
Thurs. Jan. 21 CAROLINA 7 p.m.
Sat. Jan. 23 @ Tampa Bay 7:30 p.m.
Tues. Jan. 26 ANAHEIM 7 p.m.
Thurs. Jan. 28 @ Philadelphia 7 p.m.
Sat. Jan. 30 @ Nashville 8 p.m.
Tues. Feb. 2 TAMPA BAY 7 p.m.
Fri. Feb. 5 @ Washington 7 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 6 FLORIDA 7 p.m.
Wed. Feb. 10 @ Colorado 9 p.m.
Fri. Feb. 12 @ Minnesota 8 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 13 @ Chicago 8:30 p.m.
Tues. Mar. 2 FLORIDA 7 p.m.
Thurs. Mar. 4 NY ISLANDERS 7 p.m.
Sat. Mar. 6 @ Tampa Bay 7:30 p.m.
Sun. Mar. 7 CAROLINA 5 p.m.
Tues. Mar. 9 NASHVILLE 7 p.m.
Thurs. Mar. 11 @ Columbus 7 p.m.
Fri. Mar. 12 NY RANGERS 7:30 p.m.
Sun. Mar. 14 PHOENIX 5 p.m.
Tues. Mar. 16 BUFFALO 7 p.m.
Thurs. Mar. 18 OTTAWA 7 p.m.
Sat. Mar. 20 PHILADELPHIA 7 p.m.

Sun. Mar. 21 @ Philadelphia 7 p.m.
Tues. Mar. 23 BOSTON 7 p.m.
Thurs. Mar. 25 TORONTO 7 p.m.
Sat. Mar. 27 @ Carolina 7 p.m.
Mon. Mar. 29 CAROLINA 7 p.m.
Tues. Mar. 30 @ Toronto 7 p.m.
Thurs. Apr. 1 @ Washington 7 p.m.
Sat. Apr. 3 @ Pittsburgh 1 p.m.
Tues. Apr. 6 NEW JERSEY 7 p.m.
Fri. Apr. 9 @ Washington 7 p.m.
Sat. Apr. 10 PITTSBURGH 7 p.m.

Wow…start the season at home then go on the road for 5 games. Plus…a 7 game road trip over Christmas and New years!

After playing in Chicago on February 13 the Thrashers will be off until March 2 due to the Olympic break.

Brendan

July 15th, 2009

When do Toronto and Buffalo come?! When do Toronto and Buffalo come?!

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

Good to see Edmonton making the trek to Thrasherville this year. Hopefully, Marty can haunt his old team once again and make them really regret not bringing him back. Of course this time he will need to penetrate the Bulin Wall!

Russian

July 15th, 2009

80 days left to drop a puck. :-)

TableHockey

July 15th, 2009

Ah it’s like Christmas in July…

R. Stroz

July 15th, 2009

Rawhide – Give TJ’s a call and see if we can set up a viewing party in the back room for the Dead Wings game on November 25th.

English Teacher

He hates these cans!

Sorry.

Alan

July 15th, 2009

I wish I could do a TJs thing the night before Thanksgiving. Maybe I can, but it probably won’t be with the same people I was with before.

Hmm… this has me thinking. If nothing else, I’ll just watch from home on the computer.

Alan

July 15th, 2009

Link is in Finnish, so I won’t expect anyone to understand it. However, it says Kari has been re-signed to a one year deal. (as per a forum member on HFboards)

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

Guess Kari decided to take the QO on the deadline day to do so! Thanks Alan for the news. I think Karppa knows he still has something to prove, but I reckon he is perhaps a bit disappointed to realize that the Thrashers don’t think enough of him to offer a longer-term deal.

Does anyone know if QO have to be 1 year in length only?

Brendan

July 15th, 2009

Well, that’s not what I expected. It also means … that if we don’t deal Kari at the trade deadline, we run the risk of watching the 2nd overall pick of the 2002 walking for nothing. And if you take Waddell at his word, the same (walking for nothing) could happen with Kovalchuk, who was the 1st overall pick of the 2001 draft.

Thankfully, we’re not there. And a lot can change. Especially if a court decision on this lawsuit were rendered, such that it spelled out definitive control of the team and the cost of the Belkin buyout. If the 2001 and 2002 lottery draft picks leave Atlanta, we can’t let that happen again, with Bogosian and Kane. We just CAN’T.

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

Brendan, it is a bit disappointing to see that we did not try to lock Kari up for at least two years. I really don’t know what the harm would be in a 3 year deal either. Perhaps Kari DOESN’T want to stay in ATL and sees the Pavelec threat as more than just a threat.

With having all three goalies signed to only 1 year deals, does this mean Pavelec is the LEAST likely to get moved??

GaVaHokie

July 15th, 2009

Sunday November 15: Another afternoon game for the Edmonton Oilers.

Ah, maybe that’s what Heatley was waiting to see before accepting a trade to Edmonton? He’s sure to turn down the trade offer now. ;)

… I’m just kidding, before any of you “literal” folk jump on me.

Toby

July 15th, 2009

I can assure you, Hokie, that I won’t jump on you.

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

Well, this means that Boultsy, Thorbsy and perhaps even Bogey will get an early chance at retribution to avenge the honor of Tobias Enstrom by re-arranging the face of Tampa goon Martins Karsums, a$$ hat that he is.

Pavelec is the future

July 15th, 2009

Kari won’t walk for nothing. He will walk with crutches or will be pushed out on a wheelchair.

Alan

July 15th, 2009

Consider that he hasn’t really played injury-free. The flu/back incident last season seems to me like a fluke, so the one year deal might be for him to prove, once and for all, that he is in better shape now and can play without injury.

Kari has stressed that he wants a long term deal, but this might be his last chance to get that deal in Atlanta, no matter how much he likes the city.

Thrashers27

July 15th, 2009

Finally, a season that ends against someone other than Tampa. I think it’s been the last three years that we’ve closed out the season against them.

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

I hear ya Alan and I would lean towards the side that says Kari must prove that he can stay healthy and keep his GAA below 3.00 for 55-60 + games. However, it’s just a bit disconcerting when the player opts to sign the 1 year deal rather than try to negotiate a longer deal after 7/15. At any rate, it may be best for this franchise, considering all of the young players in the pipeline and its pending litigation, that so few players are locked up long-term. I just hope Waddudley are more pro-active than before with Little and Peverley.

Note: I’m assuming that once the QO deadline runs out the player has the option to negotiate a longer deal with the team who holds his rights, leave the US to play somewhere else or simply hold-out (see Kovy in the fall of 2005).

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Here’s what I got when I ran the article through the translator:

Ice Hockey Goalie Kari Lehtonen will continue a professional career NHL club in Atlanta Trashers.

According to information received by Lehtonen the next few days to sign a one-year extension agreement with georgialaisseuran.

Goalkeeper has represented Atlanta 2003-04 season. Period ending Lehtonen played NHL’s outline series 46 combat game 91.1 percent.

I have to agree with Alan that his lack of being injury-free is what stops him from getting a long term deal done. Keep in mind that Pavelec isn’t top tier in the NHL yet but he doesn’t help the situation either.

Matt

July 15th, 2009

What about the Avalanche? Are they coming back to town this year??

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Smoothie, how do we know that Waddudley (bravo – I love that name btw) will offer Lehtonen anything more than 1 year? He may have just realized that he is up against a wall and took the only thing that was going to be offered to him rather than hold out on a team that already has Pavelec and Hedberg going into camp. If Lehtonen doesn’t show up at the start of camp we can easily go the whole year with just Pavelec and Hedberg so he had to sign something ASAP – even if it was only offered for 1 year. He played his only card by turning down the initial RFA qualifying offer but that was it for him.

dwayne

July 15th, 2009

Kari signed…Stendec…where are you????? lmao

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

Ice Dog – I can’t take credit for the DW / RD nick-name…I saw it somewhere, perhaps here on this blog, and decided to keep it going.

As for Lehts, I’m not so sure he turned down the initial QO. According to Ben of the Blueland Blog, Kari’s QO is still on the table and he has until today to sign it or opt to negotiate a different deal. But you’re right in that he probably figured he should take it and worry about his next contract after he solidifies his standing as a # 1 goalie with solid, consistent play.

There is a glut of back-up (and a couple who are probably capable of starting 50+ games like Biron and Fernandez) goalies and I’m sure he realizes that the Thrashers could always decline his counter-offer and go sign Biron to a 2 year deal. I guess the Thrashers know they are in a better position of leverage in this situation and have the luxury of standing firm.

With Colby though I’m not so sure I understand the strategy if they only offered him a 1 year QO rather than a longer term deal. But I’m not familiar enough with the CBA rules and whether a LT deal is even an option for the QO. Perhaps Colbs will still end up with a 2 year deal via arbitration, but the whole thing makes me a little uncomfortable.

The Joker

July 15th, 2009

Since Lehtonen is signed for another year, does that mean stendec is cleaning out the Depends isle at Walmart?

Laura

July 15th, 2009

Hmm… the Blues are going to be here on November 8th – excuse me as I already try to get ticket upgrades for that game for my mother and myself. You completely made my Tuesday. :D

aaron

July 15th, 2009

…You mean I’m gonna stay this color?

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Nice Smoothie, after I hit the button I thought about Biron and all those unsigned goalies but you came back with that. I saw an article somewhere that listed 9 decent backups that had a few starters like Biron in that group. So even if Lehtonen walks for nothing and Hedberg goes down, we can still go get one of those guys. The reason that hurts us though is that any thoughts of trading him for something just diminished.

As for Armstrong I wonder if they can still offer him one more deal as an RFA after this 1 year one. Sort of like giving Lehtonen the 1 year deal last year. If that is the case than I approve because why pay him UFA rates when we can still offer him RFA pay for another year? Also he still is only going to be a 3rd liner with us so I am not as worried about him as say Little who we have plenty of time to deal with.

Now Waddudley just needs to sign Kovalchuk (that still makes me laugh even if you didn’t think of it).

Alan

July 15th, 2009

If there’s one thing Waddell will do, it’s avoid arbitration at all costs. Arbitration hearings really hurts both the player and the organization.

Army won’t make it to arbitration. I think he’s good here for at least a two year deal. The reason there hasn’t been an official announcement of the Lehtonen re-signing may be because the organization is waiting to re-sign Army (or other players). At this point, they might have already agreed to terms, but they don’t have anything official drafted/signed yet.

Buzilla in CT

July 15th, 2009

Is this Kari deal confirmed or are we basing this on a Swedish blog that is in Swedish….

FormerIslesFan

July 15th, 2009

“Rawhide, Navin R. Sounds like a typical b@st@rd.”

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

Ice Dog – w/r/t Army, I think his age may prevent that from happening as category VII of UFA is for 27 y/o and up (see Nathan Oystrick and Joey Crabb) with at least a minimum of 80 games or something.

Smoothie

July 15th, 2009

A Finnish news source Buzz! It’s as reliable as Eklund at least!

Actually, the Finnish media broke the Anssi deal loooong before the Thrashers made the official announcement.

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Nothing is confirmed on anyone Buzilla. But at this point in the summer (after the initial splurge on big UFA signings) unless its Kovalchuk signing it won’t mean as much. Armstrong would be nice but he’s a 3rd liner who can sub on the 2nd and Lehtonen just doesn’t get me excited.

In other news it’s finally offical that Fenway Park will host the Bruins and Flyers for the New Year’s outdoor game. But putting a hockey game played on a rectangular shaped ice surface inside a baseball park shaped like a diamond is only further proof that Gary Bettman is the highest paid man in society that tries to put a square peg in a round hole.

Yeah yeah yeah, it’s only for the tv ratings and the “historic” element of Fenway. Who cares if the fans at the game can’t actually see the game.

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Smoothie I tried to look that up on Armstrong about his age but the site is down so I couldn’t confirm.

Buzilla in CT

July 15th, 2009

I might go to see the Fenway Park game if I can (since I am in CT)

So who can read Swedish (or Finnish, or whatever Euro newspaper)?

I would have preferred a two year deal but whatever. Any idea how may Euro’s Kari signed for?

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Buzilla I put the article through a Finnish translator and you can see above where I posted it. No $, just says a 1 year deal will be signed in the next few days.

Wouldn’t you rather go to BC’s football field or Harvard Stadium to see an outdoor game with better sightlines? The game in the Bills stadium was much better than the one in Wrigley Field because they were so far away from the ice in Wrigley and couldn’t see over the boards. The green monster is going to mean even more prime outfield seats (which were actually the best seats for a hockey game at Wrigley) will be lost at Fenway Park.

dwayne

July 15th, 2009

the new phone book is here, the new phone book is here…There I am Johnson, Navin R. Now things will start to happen.

Alan

July 15th, 2009

Is this Kari deal confirmed or are we basing this on a Swedish [sic] blog that is in Swedish [sic]….

From what I’ve been told, the source is quite reliable.

I trust the foreign press in a language I can’t read over Eklund.

Buzilla in CT

July 15th, 2009

I have already picked out a few games to go to on LI. Next I have to pick a few days to travel to Atlanta for a game or two. I miss Gorins…

Rawhide

:!: SCHEDULE ALERT!! :!:

And here is the entire 2009-10 Thrashers schedule.

I’ve update the blog post above to show the schedule as well as a few comments about it. there are a couple of lengthy road trips in there.

GaVaHokie

July 15th, 2009

What’s with the 5 game road trip right after the home opener?! Sheesh.

GaVaHokie

July 15th, 2009

If you miss the Home Opener, you have to wait until Oct 22nd to get your live hockey fix… crazy.

jd (former AIZer)

July 15th, 2009

I’ll take the 5 games on the road… when we get 12 of 17 games in March at home. during the playoff stretch.

Buzilla in CT

July 15th, 2009

I am going to try to make the November 7th game against the Islanders. Crazy they have to fly back the next day and host the Blues at 5:00. That is bunk.

Alan

July 15th, 2009

That schedule looks pretty daunting, to say the least.

For starters, I counted 16 back-to-back games.

Toby

July 15th, 2009

Alan – That may be the same for all teams because of that 3 week break for the Olympics

Ice Dog

July 15th, 2009

Alan I thought you meant 8 B2Bs for a total of 16 games. So I counted and you were right it is 16 times for 32 games. As well there are multiple occasions of things like 3 games in 4 days or other such grouped games where we play 4+ times in a number of weeks.

Then I remembered, it is an Olympic year so I don’t think we are going to have it any worse than 29 other teams. The break from 13 Feb to 2 Mar is going to cause all of those things. And I think we would only have Kovalchuk and maybe Hainsey and/or 1 more going to the Olympics so most of our team should be well rested at that time for the stretch run.

R. Stroz

Home Game Day Analysis:

Sunday = 5

Monday = 3

Tuesday = 9

Wednesday = 0

Thursday = 12

Friday = 2

Saturday = 10

If you are an accountant, there are 12 home games in March, so you better get those returns done in February.

Home Game Month Analysis

October = 4

November = 9

December = 5

January = 7

February = 2

March = 12

April = 2

What really stood out to me with this schedule is that there is only one weekend game in January and February. There are only two weekend games in December.

Buzilla in CT

July 15th, 2009

This has nothing to do with hockey but I thought others might enjoy it if they are Simpson fans:

Tom

Stroz

If the team does not turn around, Phillips will be very empty in March. If we are playing winning hockey we will have one heck of a home ice advantage.