Vivlamore reporting from Hawks practice.
A couple quick notes to pass on from today’s workout.
* Coach Larry Drew said he has yet to decide team captains and will take 7-10 days to think about it. In the meantime Al Horford and Josh Smith, both on the captains committee last season, will serve in the positions.
* Drew again declined to reveal his starting lineup for Friday’s season-opener against the Rockets. “I’m going to sleep on it tonight,” Drew said with a coy smile. “I will tell you tomorrow that I’ll be sleeping on it tonight.”
* Center Johan Petro (back) did not practice for the third straight day. He worked with the team’s training staff on the side. “He is getting better,” Drew said.
* Forward Mike Scott returned to practice after missing Tuesday’s workout with flu-like symptoms.
* Drew sat down with each player to discuss their role with the team this season. “I really wanted to wait until we got our roster down before I did that,” he said. “We had a good dialog.”
* As part of the offensive practice Wednesday, the team continued to work with an 18-second shot clock to encourage pace in running through options for each set.
* The Hawks will not practice Thursday. Drew is giving the team some rest after four straight practice days ahead of the season opener.
- Chris Vivlamore
Follow me on Twitter at ajchawks