Cavaliers at Atlanta Hawks: Game thread
- UPDATE: Larry Drew says Al Horford, out since Jan. 17 surgery to repair a torn left pectoral, got some shots up yesterday. “That’s very encouraging to hear,” Drew said. “I don’t know how far he was able to raise his arm.”
- But Drew said he’s still assuming Horford won’t return this season: “From Day 1 when he had the surgery I was told he would be out for the regular season and there’s a remote possibility we can get him back for the playoffs. My mindset has been to count him out for the year. I don’t want to get my hopes up and the team’s hopes up that he can come back and then he doesn’t and then a mentally there’s a letdown.”
- Vladimir Radmanoivic (back) is out.
- Marvin Williams (hip) said he would test his injury before the game but Larry Drew ruled him out and said he’s not sure when Williams will return.
- Ivan Johnson returned to San Antonio to deal with his girlfriend’s pregnancy. He’s not expected to return by game time.
- Willie Green (hamstring) is expected to play after he dressed for Monday’s game vs. the Celtics but didn’t play.
- For the Cavs, Anderson Varejao (wrist) is out and Daniel Gibson (ankle) is questionable.
- I’m still getting lots of inquiries on Twitter about the Hawks signing one of the free agents who’ve been released. Atlanta’s roster is full, so they would have to waive a player (and eat the salary) or buy out a player (no candidates for that) to open up a spot for the new guy. Either move would add to the team’s payroll and luxury-tax bill. In other words, it’s not happening.
Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat