Atlanta Hawks at Suns: Game thread
Phoenix–Tracy McGrady did not dress. “We are just going to rest him up,” Larry Drew said. “This is one of the things we knew we were probably going to be doing given the [truncated] season. He will be resting on back-to-back, whether the first night or second.”
- All 13 Suns are dressed and available.
- Jason Collins (elbow) saw his doctor today. “From what I was told, it’s feeling better but it’s not completely healed,” Drew said. “It’s going to be a little bit longer.”
- Drew didn’t commit to another 10-day contract for Erick Dampier. “It’s a possibility given that Jason won’t be back soon,” Drew said. “We are certainly going to need the body.”
- Drew expects to use Dampier tonight against Marcin Gortat and Robin Lopez after he played 16 minutes against Andrew Bynum. “Watching ‘Damp,’ it seems like every day he’s getting into some playing shape,” Drew said.
- The Suns sliced the Hawks on pick-and-rolls in the last meeting. According to Synergy Sports Technology, Suns pick-and-roll ball-handlers scored 1.5 points per possession and roll men scored 1.14 points per possession. On their 21 pick-and-roll possessions used, the Suns combined for 12 of 19 shooting, including 3-for-4 on 3s.
- “We are going to see tons and tons of it,” Drew said. “They run multiple pick-and-rolls. They run a lot of random pick-and-rolls. We are just going to have to do a good job against it. It’s not something we haven’t had seen before. The guards are going to have to do a good job of fighting over it and everybody is going to have to be in position.”
- The league selected Joe Johnson to participate in the 3-point shootout during All-Star weekend. “I guess they needed a fill-in,” Joe joked.
- Joe finished fifth of six players in 2005 when he repped the Suns. “I’ve always wanted a chance to redeem myself,” Joe said. That field included Hawks teammate Vladimir Radmaonovic, champion Quentin Richardson, Kyle Korver, Voshon Leonard and Ray Allen.
- Johnson and Minnesota’s Kevin Love are the two All-Stars who also will participate in the 3-point shootout this year. The other contestants are defending champion James Jones of the Heat, Miami teammate Mario Chalmers, Orlando’s Ryan Anderson and New Jersey’s Anthony Morrow.
Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat